Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data export isn't working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is my 1st attempt to export data for my sleep (or anything). I only get "something went wrong" when I attempt this. I tried .csv and Excel. I found comments back in 2017 that this was a known issue and would be fixed. Really! Almost 4 years and still not fixed. I didn't do an exhaustive search so is there a fix or workaround for this? Fitbit is a big enough company to pay for this coding. Thx

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
48 REPLIES 48

I was able to successfully download my data in .xls format for a custom timeframe a day or two ago, but it seems that random successes are not all that uncommon and don't really indicate whether the issue is resolved.  The last update from Fitbit was that they are still working on it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A Fitbit moderator stated that you can still download your "Fitbit account archive data.' Perhaps you can; but, that option downloads every bit of data that has been recorded to your Fitbit account. And once requesting it you get a message, part of which states:

Export your Fitbit data for the lifetime of your account. This data includes your account profile, social posts, wellness programs, body and activity records, nutrition, and sleep. Learn More

You will receive a verification email to confirm export of your account data. After verification, most archives are available for download within 30 minutes. Please note that it could take several days to generate an archive if you have a large amount of data on Fitbit.

Notice that last part saying it may take several days to generate if you have a large amount of data. What kind of computer system is this that it should take so long. That will be my case because I have more than 6 years of data. I only want to download the previous weeks data to load in to my own Excel spreadsheet.

The Fitbit devices seem to br pretty decent but the supporting software in Dashboard leaves a lot to her desired. People start4d this thread August 3rd. It is now August 24th. That is not very good support in my mind.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good news, I hope.  This seems to be working again.  Using Chrome on a Mac, I just downloaded two csv files without issue, one for August using the previous month button, and one for July using the custom date range.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

This has occurred several times for me. What I found with the fix was clearing my browser and cache. I have to admit there is so much junk that we collect on our systems but clearing them has always worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am having the same issue. I don't want a bracelet fitbit. I like the option of wearing the ONE out of sight. I haven't been able to get it to sync since August 31st. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit data archive export is not working. I have been exporting my archive once a month for over a year. It has failed twice in the last 3 days. On Friday it stalled at 67% complete and did not move for 12 hours so I cancelled it. I tried again on Sunday morning and it is currently stalled at 76% complete after running for more than 24 hours.

Best Answer

Same problem for me. Full archive export got to 61% after about 10 mins then got stuck there. I left it for more than 24hrs with no change, tried on different browsers and signing out and in again.

I finally cancelled it, had to wait 24hrs to do another export which got to 91% this time then stuck again. I left it for THREE DAYS this time, still no change.

I contacted support on chat, they couldn't fix it and said a higher level support would email me but I haven't received anything. It's been 4 days now. 

This is extremely frustrating, especially since the reason I need to export is because once I connect my new Charge 5 I will lose all my historical Elevation/Floors Climbed data because the 5 doesn't measure this. So I can't even use my new device yet.

This really isn't a pleasant upgrade experience. Is this issue being worked on? 

Best Answer

Just to update on this, I finally have a successful Full archive export which I just downloaded. This was after at least 4 attempts, each waiting for at least 48 hours and up to 4 days before cancelling and retrying (after having to wait a further 24 hours each time). This last one took 48 hours after being stuck at 72%. I'm not sure if I just got lucky and it completed or if Support finally looked into it (6 days after my chat with them) and pushed it through. 

To be fair the download came to over 1gig when uncompressed so there's a lot of data in there, but the process can still definitely be improved. And it wouldn't be as necessary for me if Fitbit wouldn't erase my historical Floors climbed data when switiching to a tracker with no altimeter. 

Best Answer

Besides the app no longer working on my phone, I can now not export data!  Tells me something went wrong!  So, I know this has happened before, that data export has broken, is that the case again?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I let my second export run and it completed after more than 48 hours. Previous exports have never taken more than 10 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has been stuck for over 24 hours at 70% to do an archive, but, just tried again in regards to downloading to a CSV, and, it worked.  Wish I could say the same for the app on my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My question to anyone else who is exporting data: HOW DO YOU USE IT?

I downloaded the archive and did not find the bulk of this data to be in a usable format.  To have everything in CSV or Excel, I downloaded a shorter time frame and there was exactly NOTHING THERE related to heart rate.  Also, they describe this somewhere as being "the raw data."  NO.  It is not.  If it were, there wouldn't be so many parameters that are missing altogether.  I had one json file that was essentially a long list of dates and times with a bunch of zeros entered for every single entry (when obviously that was untrue, btw).  There is no way that this can be ALL of the raw data.  Fitbit is being very dishonest with the way they are handling our data and letting us access it.  

Best Answer

This issue has been going on for years.  It happens to me about once a month - and today is that day.  I try to download my data and get a message that "something went wrong."

I've tried contacting support and they are no help.  The last time, they told me I needed to log in to a different wifi network.  The only way to do that from my desktop or laptop is to use my phone as hotspot.  And that's ridiculous.  No one should have to do that.

Today, I've tried two different browsers, two different computers, and I've cleared my cache.  Still getting the "something went wrong" message.

Best Answer

I keep getting message "Something went Wrong" when trying to export my data. I export my data several times a week so I know what I'm doing. Why isn't this working??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does not work - stopped working on June 9th - I have cleared cache, tried Chrome, Edge, Firefox, restarted PC, and even reinstalled Chrome - Please fix the data export feature

Your Fitbit Data
Export your Fitbit data in Microsoft Excel or CSV format, which can be opened in any spreadsheet application.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The same situation here. No matter what type of data I'm trying to export it always ends with "Something went Wrong".

Best Answer

Same here. This hasn't happened to me in a while, so hopefully it'll get resolved soon.

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner 

This seems to be a growing issue: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Data-Export-Not-Work/m-p/5163411#M115497

and….https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Is-data-export-EVER-going-to-be-fixed/m-p/5163182#M115491

It appears as if this issue is happening to several people. I don’t have an answer on how to fix the issue. Common sense would be to log out of the app, restart, log back in and attempt again or as you stated clear cache and try different devices. But I believe the issue doesn’t belong to you or anything your doing wrong. I believe something is wrong with the servers. Hopefully the Fitbit Moderators will see your post and the threads I have linked here to see that an issue is brewing and needs to be addressed. 

I understand you came here to find an answer to your issue but I’m hoping that my response at least gives you a deeper clarity on what might be happening at the moment and to prevent you from troubleshooting a ton on your end because quite frankly i think the fix has to come from their end. 

Best Answer
Best Answer

This has happened before a year or two ago. Someone in programming decided to make an update to the EXPORT software and messed it up. It then took about a week for them to restore it back. I have downloaded data everyday and it quit on 06/09/22. I have tried EVERYTHING from computers, different browsers, different cites, and even my phone, Same Error Message! Not sure who's bright Idea it was but they need to leave it alone!!!

"If it's not Broke don't Fix It".

Best Answer