Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you really need to enter a workout if Fitbit counts steps?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all, I’m new to Fitbits as I just got mine today, and I’ve got a question about entering workouts in the Fitbit in a couple scenarios. I did a BodyPump workout at the gym this morning which burns roughly 650 calories, but it is mainly a strength-based excersise and I’m not 100% sure if my Fitbit would know that I’m doing it and calculate it automatically. In that case would I enter my workout? Even more so, if I was to do a treadmill excersise, the treadmill would tell me how many calories I burned, but the Fitbit would typically count the steps, so in that case, is entering the workout necessary? Essentially what I’m wondering is if the Fitbit counts steps, wouldn’t entering a workout just re-add the calories the Fitbit  already thought I burned? sorry if that’s confusing lol, and thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@Smiteric215 -- you just need to follow your instincts.  No real need to enter a workout for step based exercises like treadmill work.  If you have a newer fitbit, it will likely create an activity for you in that situation through 'smart track.'

Entering a workout for non-step exercises like weightlifting does make sense.  As you've guessed, fitbit doesn't really  know what your doing in that situation and even the HR models tend to underestimate the work you are doing without you helping the system out by identifying the activity.  If you've got a tracker like a Charge 2 or the Ionic (pretty much anything other than an Alta model) you can start an activity from your tracker by pushing a button or choosing from a menu and that will help.  

Here is more about starting activities from your fitbit.

Finally, don't worry about double counting calories if you do enter an activity.  Any activity you enter will refine and replace the calorie and active minute count your tracker calculates for your daily totals based on movement and HR alone.  

Hope that answers your questions.  Let us know.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thank you so much! You’re awesome. I’ve just been really picky about the calorie count as I’m trying to lose weight and don’t want to consume more calories than I need to as a result of incorrect counts haha!

Best Answer