Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export of community/group steps?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All,

We are setting up a community group for my company as part of our wellness program. One of the things we like to track is how many steps per week people are doing. 

Is there a way for us to export weekly steps (or export anything at all) for the community group - or do we have to go to each user's account and perform an export? 

Or maybe a way to modify the community step graph to show by week instead of by month?

Any help appreciated!

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @BrandonPatton Smiley Very Happy! At the moment, there's no way to export data for a community group. Every member should export their own data in order for you to get those stats. 

Thank you for your suggestion. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. The best place to make your voice heard is the Ideas board on our community, which our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback. 

If you find that a similar suggestion has already been made by another member of the community, you can vote for their idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps. 

Have a nice start of the week!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I just called the helpdesk about this too.  A colleague and I are testing if we might use FitBit data in a study of exercise patterns among a defined cohort of people.  We are considering forming a group and then recruiting many hundreds of people to that group, and following their exercise patterns for a year or so.

Therefore, we would like to export the monthly totals for number of steps and number of active minutes, from the Group Leaderboard.

This is a preliminary test for now and if it looks feasible then we will draft a formal research proposal and apply for IRB approval through a University.

Also, can we change the privacy settings for a Group so people cannot see each other?  Otherwise, participants are going to have to relinquish some of their privacy to participate, (because currently everyone in a group can see how many steps the others have done).

I hope you can help with this.

Peter

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @PeterBuzzacott Smiley Very Happy! As I've mentioned before, this request is not available at the moment, but you can definitely create this suggestion in our Feature Request board. I don't know if my friend @BrandonPatton has created it already so he can share the link and you can vote for it instead of creating a new one. 

To decide what information you want your Fitbit friends to see:

1. Log in to your fitbit.com dashboard and click the gear icon in the top right corner.
  2. Click Settings > Privacy. For each item, decide the visibility you prefer. My Achievements refers to badges and trophies.
  3. Don’t forget to save your changes.

To show or hide your step count from friend rankings. To do so:

1. Log into your fitbit.com dashboard and click the gear icon at the top right.
  2. Choose Settings.
  3. Under Personal Info, scroll to the bottom of the page and find Preferences.
  4. Set the Friend Rankings option to either Show Me or Hide Me depending on your preference.
  5. Don't forget to save your changes.

Happy stepping for you both!

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply Maria

In summary:

We cannot export the monthly totals for a group for analysis.

We cannot offer members of any group privacy (they must change their own privacy settings - which is not just inconvenient it affects their engagement with the rest of their community, therefore it would be unethical to ask hundreds of people to do this).

Our best option if we want to use FitBit would appear to be to create one group per person and employ someone to manually enter the monthly totals for each participant (which is prone to human error).

By all means, feel free to create that Feature Request. I'll see if any other trackers are better suited to tracking activity levels for research.

My best regards,

Peter

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can see the total of your members, but you can export that data (each user is able to export their own data). You can see the steps of a group by doing the following:

1. Log into your dashboard, then click the Community tab at the top of the page.
  2. Click on "Activity Groups"
  3. Select the group you wan to check
  4. You'll see a chart with a summary, but at the bottom of it you see the option that says "View Full Leaderboard"
  5. There you'll see a full stats of your members, but that data can't be exported

In case you're creating a Wellness Program for your employees, see this article maybe this would help you.

Let me know if you need to know something else, I'll be glad to help!

Best Answer