Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Connect executable crashes when adding Charge 2 to my account via Win8.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have an old Flex I've been using for a while that I inherited from a family member and the wrist band is finally breaking.  Rather than order a new band online (can't find one in any store), and desiring additional capabilities, I took advantage of the recent Black Friday sale and bought the Charge 2.  After letting it charge (no pun intended) more than the recommended 2 hours, I attempted to follow the guidance in the forums for adding a second device to my account and downloaded the Fitbit Connect software to my PC (running Win8.1).  I followed the prompts for an "existing user" and confirmed my profile details, then selected the Charge 2 from the device list.  Within a few seconds, the Fitbit Connect executable crashed and closed out unceremoniously.  I launched Fitbit Connect, logged back in, and tried again and was met with he same result.  Ignoring Einstein's quote on the definition of insanity, I went through the same steps half a dozen more times before lodging a help request (reference #22383209) and then gave up for the night.  Now, ~24 hours later, with no response from Fitbit Support other than the auto-generated response that my support request had been received, I decided to make another run at this, but this time I attempt to install different devices.  All the other wearable devices launched their appropriate installation prompts when selected, except for the Charge 2 and the Flex 2 and it makes me wonder if there is a remote possibility that the "2" portion of the device name is causing a problem (selecting the Aria 2 scale closed the Fitbit Connect software, but launched a new webpage specific to that device).

Just to ensure there were no problems with the device's Bluetooth, I did use the Bluetooth settings tool on the PC to try to see the Charge 2 and it does see and correctly identify it, but that's about it.

So, has anyone else experienced the the Fitbit Connect executable crashing when trying to add a new device, specifically a Charge 2?  If so, what did you do to get around it?

Should I give the Fitbit Support team another 24 hours to respond?  Is there another way to contact them that isn't so passive?

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

@TomFVA, as I recall, Windows 8.1 is no longer supported.  Do you have the option to upgrade to Windows 10, which is supported?  If not, do you have a smartphone, either Android or iOS that you can use to sync your tracker?

Best Answer

@TomFVA Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! The best option is the one @USAF-Larry mentioned which is using a compatible mobile device to setup your tracker and see if you can just sync using the Fitbit Connect software on your computer. Support does have a 24 to 48 hours window to reply to your email but if you go to help at the top of the page then click on Get Support you should have at least Chat or even phone options (depends on your area). Or you could try using a Windows 10 computer (from a friend or work) to setup your device.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

@USAF-Larry@AlvaroFitbit

First, thank you for the welcome to the community AND the responses to this thread.

Second, the solution Larry suggested (upgrading to Win10) wasn't one that I was going to follow (why suffer the pains of upgrading to a new OS just to install a fitness tracker??  That's like buying a suit to match your tie or socks.).  I wasn't asking about the Win8.1 Fitbit application (which the Fitbit Support desk confirmed was no longer supported), but I was referring to the Fitbit Connect executable downloaded from the www.fitbit.com/setup website that, according to the Fitbit Support, works on any Win OS, XP or later.  Here's a snippet from the chat transcript:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Me: so, I posted a question on the forums and one of the active members suggested that Win8.1 is no longer supported, is that a true statement?

Fitbit Support: The Fitbit app for Windows 8.1 is no longer supported. However, you can still use Fitbit Connect through Windows 8.1.

Me: ok, so...the Fitbit Connect.exe that I was using and mentioned in my message identifies the version and date...is that for a different OS than Win8.1?

Fitbit Support: There are two versions of Fitbit Connect, one for Mac and other for Windows. The Windows one should work for any Windows above of Windows XP.

Third, while the suggestion to use a compatible mobile device turned out to be the right answer, just stating that would not have been enough.  The reason is that the icon for the "Account Tile" was not visible on my mobile device (or on the web dashboard).  Another snippet from the chat transcript:

Fitbit Support: I think I know what is happening.
Fitbit Support: We have received some reports of iOS users about a missing "Account" tile in the Fitbit app, making setting up a tracker difficult.

Me: ok....what do i do to fix it?

Fitbit Support: Our engineers are already working to fix that situation, right now we have a workaround to bypass this.
Fitbit Support: I'll need you to open the Fitbit app in your mobile device.

Me: open

Fitbit Support: Perfect.

Fitbit Support: Okay, the account tile is located in the top right corner of the Fitbit app dashboard, in between the battery icon of your phone and the share button. Try to press the blank space.

Me: holy smokes, tapping on the blank space above the share icon opened the account panel
Me: and there is the "set up a device" option

Fitbit Support: That's great Thomas.

Once the Fitbit Support person got me to that point, the rest of the set up went smoothly.  

I had tried everything I could think of before posting on the forum, even creating a new Fitbit account with a different email address.  Unfortunately, in my frustration, i posted to the forum with the newly created account and not my legacy account, and they currently don't have a way to merge accounts, so the account that didn't have a tracker connected to it (TomFVA) is now deleted and I created the TomFVA_1 forum profile in order to respond to these messages.

What I don't know, and didn't follow up on, was why the Fitbit Connect executable software, downloaded to help install a new device, would allow all the other fitness trackers to begin a setup/installation process, but not the Charge 2 and Flex 2.  That will have to be a mystery for someone else to solve, though.

Finally, the key take away for me from all this is that I would have saved myself a couple days of frustration and buyer's remorse if I had entered into a chat with the Fitbit Support team when I was first having difficulties with adding the new device rather than sending an email to them (although the support desk was closed at that time of night/morning, come to think of it).

Anyway, thanks again for your attempt to help.  If you see any other users looking for assistance with getting their fitness tracker added to their account, please keep in mind that there is currently a software glitch that makes the icon for the "Account Tile" not visible on the mobile device dashboard.  The Fitbit Support desk suggested this is a problem with some iOS devices, but it could reappear as a problem for other mobile platforms.

Semper Fi!

TomFVA / TomFVA_1

Best Answer
0 Votes