Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Data Export Data Dictionary

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All 

I am trying to make sense of the data export (through data request) in Fitbit but it's really hard for me to decipher what each column meant. Further, I initially thought that all timezones are centered to UTC, but upon looking at sleep data, It seems to follow the local timezone. 

Is there a data dictionary for the data export? I would really appreciate if you are able to direct me to it if there's one.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @haohao 

Typically, when people talk about the "data export" they mean the functionality within the user's account settings at https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export.  I don't know if there is a data dictionary since this tool is not part of the Web API.  If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them for you.

If by "data export" you mean the response from the Web API endpoints, each endpoint is documented with the description of their response.  There are only a few cases where we are still working on completing those.   We gladly take feedback on information that is incorrect, needs further clarification or other developer resources that would be helpful.   

Fitbit Health Solutions (FHS) publishes a Web API data dictionary which can be found here: https://healthsolutions.fitbit.com/fitbit-web-api-data-dictionary/.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit

Thanks for following up on my queries. By data export, I am referring to the entire account archive which can be exported (from the link you pointed out). 

I have questions pertaining to the different files from the data export 
1. I have used my Fitbit in Singapore (UTC + 😎 & Vietnam (UTC + 7) How do I know which files are using the timezones I've set on the watch or which files adopt the UTC time zone and which files adopt the local time zone?
2. How is Sleep efficiency calculated for the different types of sleep captured (stages/classic) 
3. In the file "sleep_score", there's a column "resting_heart_rate". What does that mean? How is restlessness computed in the same file?
4. Does Fitbit sense tracks my skin temperature throughout the day? I notice that there is "Device Temperature" files but they are empty. 
5. In "Computed Temperature" files , there's a column called "nightly_temperature". What does it mean?

I think it would be good for Fitbit to come out with a readme or a data dictionary (something like this https://www.fitabase.com/media/1930/fitabasedatadictionary102320.pdf) So that users will be able to actually analyse their raw data without the need to painstakingly decipher the different csv/jsons and columns.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @haohao 

Those are good questions.   We have a data dictionary for the Web APIs.   I'm not aware of one for the data export functionality.   I'm going to reassign your question to the Fitbit Dashboard community to see if something there can help you.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes