Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google accounts will be required in 2025

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In the last 2 days I have done a lot of research into why the Fitbit app was changed to this horrible new version. It appears that Google purchased Fitbit with the intentbof phasing them out by 2025 and pushing users to the Google Pixel watch. Google Monopoly. Consumers get the shaft.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I completely agree, definitely phasing them out, they are withdrawing products from many parts of the world! 

Best Answer

I bought a new fitbit just before the update!!! I can't work out whether the fitbit is malfunctioning or it's the update... it shows wildly different results for distance and step count for the same run on different days!!!

Best Answer

If Google continues with this new horrible version app of Fitbit, I am cancelling my premium subscription when it comes up for renewal and will move away from Fitbit products. Why change that good old app, which had a nice dashboard. 

Best Answer

@Rich_Laueshe already has a child account in our family account and it doesn't allow me to link to it from my phone even-though i can manage the account fine. It expects me to login as her own profile on a device and link her fitbit to that device to sync it. I can not anymore have her fitbit sync through my phone. And before you say i need a newer phone i have the S23 Ultra with the latest version of Android and it refuses to allow me to sync it. So either they screwed up the implementation or its done on purpose god know why but the fact is the way the fitbit devices for kids are working now under the non Goolge account will not be possible anymore and that is beyond stupid. A 5 yo doesn't need her own cell phone or tablet to sync her fitness tracker.

Best Answer

My complaint is the horrible app Google has forced down on us. Don’t tell me you like the new app. 

Best Answer
Not at all I have posted many times listing numerous faults with the new
app!
Best Answer

I bought one for my other. Can’t even to get it to work despite setting up a google account which we Don’t Want. 
where to go next?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Contact their support? This rumour that they are phasing out Fitbit is unsubstantiated and likely not true

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, unsubstantiated….but it likely IS true. It doesn’t take much to put the pieces together.

Original Flex (March 2014); Charge HR; Alta HR; Original Versa; Inspire; Sense; Charge 5; Inspire 2
Best Answer

Thanks for the update. I saw the ability to logon through Google, but only thought they had some kind of alliance and didn’t know that Google bought them. The only things I use Google for G-Mail for verifications and websites that require emails that I only intend to use once and for shared calendar events. I use it for a throw away address that I never check and have filter set up to delete everything in the Junk folder to be deleted long with most of my inbox immediately. For contacts I do want to get mail from, I use a forward and delete filter. I don’t use Google Drive unless that’s the only way to access something someone sent me, which I then move to another cloud. I do use Google Maps (since many websites have no other option), but I use it without logging in and regularly log into Google to delete all map data. Storing data is already turned off, but they still collect data about map searches. I don’t use Goggle Drive or any of the Google office apps. I don’t use the Chrome browser. I have a Facebook account, only when someone contacts me and that’s the only way to respond to them and my response is not to contact me through Facebook again. Duck Duck Go is a much better search engine with no privacy issues and I use Proton for email who being in Europe actually have privacy laws that protect the individual and not the corporations like the US has. 
In short, I’ve tried to wean myself totally off of Google. It appears that I will now have to find an alternative to FitBit. I’ve used it for well over a decade and they’ve likely already taken our data, but we should be able to go through the Google site and support to have that information deleted. I have no intention of being in the Google Metaverse and all of you should question whether you’re comfortable giving over all your information to a company that only intends to exploit it. It may as well be on the Dark Web for what they will be using it for since all of your information will be for sale to anyone who wants it. We need to also put pressure on our representative to pass legislation that has teeth in it to protect individual privacy rights like the European Union has done. Then if Google wants to exploit your privacy, then they’ll be facing hefty fines and restrictions like they already do in countries where that is against the law. 

It’s a shame, but as soon as I can find a good alternative, I’ll stop using FitBit and ask them to delete all my data so I can cancel my account with them. Having most of your information in a single basket is dangerous and makes you much less secure to data breaches and endless increasing amounts of spam. This is a great opportunity for alternatives to FitBit to up their game reach out to convert as many Fitbit users as possible over to their platform. I’ll start my search for an alternative immediately and will not be on FitBit when the full conversion gets forced on everyone. All good things come to an end. It’s time to look at alternatives and jump ship. 

I think we need to start a thread about FitBit alternatives. They’ll likely delete it, but not before enough users realize that it’s not the only game in town and that they don’t have to be pawns in the Metaverse.

Best Answer

And, I also use a VPN (also non U.S. based for following privacy laws and no logging). My ip address is useless and doesn’t tie my information to ones they have stored for me. If Google ever offers a VPN, DO NOT USE it. That would end all privacy since then they would be able to gather all data on you on every website you visit and everyone you have contact with. That’s handing over the keys to all of your information and everything about your online activities. We all live a large part of our lives online, but it doesn’t have to be publicly traded information used to target us and for possible future more nefarious activities. This is the digital version of no longer living under a Democracy, which is under attack from too many sources already. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

They don’t have all of mine. They have a lot, but I’m diversified through enough other platforms that what Google has on me is what’s generally available publicly. There are other alternatives for most online activities. Look for companies based in Europe who have to follow privacy laws that actually protect the individual instead of the corporations like the US laws do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

They’re worried about a mass exodus, which they should be, so preventing assistance to people in jumping ship is to be expected. The employees and moderators at FitBit are probably also not liking the direction things are going in, so I do understand what a bind this puts them in. In almost every case where a company through an acquisition assures everyone (employees & customers) that nothing will change, it doesn’t turn out that way. Employee positions are cut and “terms and conditions” can see some extreme changes. The employees at FitBit have to be as anxious and wary as we are and I wish them well, since none of this was their choice. 

Best Answer

Google already has plenty of your data in so many ways that you wouldn't even realise. It's almost impossible to not have your data harvested by the second largest data collector on the planet. And if you believe that your data is actually being deleted that is just naive. 

I think that you might be a bit paranoid and for what reason??   I'm pretty certain that your just a regular nobody like everyone else here so don't think that your data is all that special. And does it really matter if they have your data, what so you can see advertising that is actually tailored to you, I'd rather that then seeing completely irrelevant content. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s not as much about data harvesting, although I put a lot of false information out there to mess up all the day harvesters.

It’s more that I don’t Google as company and dislike many of their products and their policies on the few products I do use. I have no doubt that they will do the same to FitBit, so cutting the cord now makes more sense than after being totally frustrated.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Personally I am not bothered about data collection, nothing I do can be of
any remote interest to these companies. My only issue is the updated app
which does not give me the data I require to measure my runs!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes