Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is Versa 3 Resting heart rate?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My resting heart rate tends to be around 58-63 when I wake up.

But while I am sitting during the day my heart rate tends to be around 75-90 (sometimes lower, sometimes a bitt higher). 

Is it normal that hrv during the morning is 10 points lower then during the day? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, resting heart rate is one of the things a Versa 3 does quite well, as shown in the health metrics tile, or on the watch, today app.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think anyone ever measured accuracy of RHR. We say it's accurate when it feels right (and when we like what we see, that's human nature), not because there is an evidence that it is accurate. In other words, it's as accurate as you think it is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @t.parker  - generally the Versa 3 and Sense HR is accurate when not moving, confirmed from all the measurements compared with other devices.

It is also used in Sleep stage analysis which seem to be possibly accurate.

Unless there is a flaw in the calculation, or the watch, the RHR should be accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ without knowing how Fitbit measures RHR and without applying the same methodology using ECG it's neither accurate nor inaccurate. It just is whatever it is. I have three resting heart rates, from Fitbit, from [can't tell name, don't want my post to be removed] and from [same as previously]. all three are different. I have results 42bpm, 49bpm and 53bpm (this one from Fitbit). Which one is accurate? The 49bpm is measured via ECG but whether it is my RHR? Can't tell. Each device probably uses different way of estimating RHR, they may all be correct for own algorithm and all may be incorrect as well. Sleep stages are another story. Without lab test it may be just rolling the dice. I don't know when I had REM, deep sleep, was awake (without remembering that) because I was sleeping. Later on, whatever I see in the app I can't tell whether it is accurate or not. Why do you think it's not meant to be used for medical purposes? Looking at my sleep record just for today from two different devices (one is Fitbit Sense) the charts are quite different. Should I assume it's Fitbit the one which is right or the other one? The answer is simple - I don't know and there is no way for me to know. It makes no sense to discuss accuracy of something that cannot be verified because either the methodology is unknown or there is significant lack of data needed for verification. If you have evidence of accuracy then I'd be very grateful to see it. About RHR, my answer still is that no one can tell whether it is accurate or not. Looking at research papers, it seems like quite common methodology is performing ECG after 1-2 minutes from waking up. I don't have ECG equipment but chest strap should be quite close (same technology) and can compare. Still, such sample wouldn't be enough to tell somebody whether Fitbit is or isn't accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @t.parker  - you are correct, however what was meant was,  as a Versa 3 heart rate at rest is relatively accurate, such as during sleep, it is probable to get a consistent view of RHR. The at rest value can be compared and does match other equipment.

Of course the absolute value depends on the various algorithms and tolerances (which should be relatively the same for any given person), so may not be an exact value.

But isn't one generally more interested in anomalies and variations over time rather than a specific measurable figure.

On my watch I get a relatively consistent RHR, so have no reason to doubt it's efficacity, especially as it corresponds to values from other equipment.

There is one caveat, a faulty watch (or incompatibility with the person or their wearing technique) might not give the desired result.

Best Answer
0 Votes