Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I Delete Day 1 Data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought my Charge HR, set it up, and plugged it in for charging. I did this a little before midnight, so it has counted that first day (which was basically nothing) as a few steps, which is factored into my average.

How can I delete that first day of data so my averages will actually reflect my real activity?

Thanks,

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Thanks for taking a break from stepping to visit the Community @Muckbeast. You can negate the steps from the first day you used your Fitbit Charge HR. This should help to get you back on track. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for stopping by, see you around. Smiley Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Edson,

Thanks for the reply! However, your link goes to a post of you replying to someone else, not to any actual instructions for how to negate steps or delete day 1.

Best Answer

Also, this article seems to be badly out of date:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1306

1) I don't have LOG -> ACTIVITY as an option on my dashboard.

2) I don't see a way to "select a date range."

3) I don't have an "activity menu."

Basically, those instructions are a complete loss and hopelessly inaccurate or out of date. Perhaps an old version of the dashboard?

Best Answer

The provided instructions are for the online Dashboard @Muckbeast

log.jpg

Since this is the Fitbit.com Dashboard board, I provided the steps for that platform. If you are using the Fitbit app, please do the following:

1. Log in to the app
2. Tap track your exercise
3. Select the stopwatch in the up right corner
4. Tap "Log Previous" and enter "Driving" during the hours of the tracked steps

Catch you later. Cat Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Best Answer

Edson,

I was indeed using the online dashboard.

>> At the top of the screen click Log > Activity.

1) There is no Log -> Activity

There is an "Activities", but that's different which again seems to indicate the help page is out of date.

>> Find the data you want to negate by selecting a date range.

2) I still see no way to "select" a date range. 

>> In the activity menu, type in "Driving" and enter the duration and start time.

3) There is nothing on the page called an "activity menu" where I can type anything.

If it is referring to the "Log Activities" area, then again, the document is out of date since it is using wrong terminology. 

>> Click Log Activity.

4) There is no such button. There is a [Log] button, but yet again, this seems to indicate the document is out of date or referring to a different version of the dashboard since it is inaccurate.

Lastly, what will wiping out my steps do except lower my average even further?

Is there no way to simply delete day 1?

Thanks,

Best Answer

Thanks for the update @Muckbeast. There is actually no option to delete data from your Dashboard but just negate it. Please click this link Activities tab. Scroll down until you see "Log Activities" as shown in the screen shot below:

driving.jpg

Type "Driving" in the search bar. Select the date you want to negate data from the calendar (Date section in the red rectangle). Input the required information in the fields in blank.

If you see something different than what is shown above please be so kind to provide me with a screen shot so I can provide further assistance.

Keep up the super stepping. Robot Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I tried your workaround for deleting "Day 1" data, but it didn't work. I set up driving activities to overlap for the day of interest and the several days prior (and into the next day), but this bumped me down to 191 calories for the day instead, even though no activity is showing on the graph. This pulls down my averages even further.

I need a real way to delete this day of data, thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 10.47.08 AM.png

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner welcome to the Community! If you wish to negate the steps from a specific day, please make sure you are entering the correct date as @EdsonFitbit is mentioning in the post above. Also, the duration should be 24 hours as this activity will be negating the steps for that specific date. Just out of curiosity, why would you like to negate the steps from Day 1? Do let me know! Cat Very Happy

I'll be looking forward to your new comments! 

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have this problem of wanting to delete Day 1 data.  Seems it would be a very common, close to universal problem, for anyone who sets up their Fitbit at a time other than first thing in the morning.  I set mine up at night, I walked very few steps recorded that day, so I want to delete that day.  But I don't want to set that day to "zero" steps b/c that would show an even lower average. I just want to delete the entire day. Seems the software should include an option upon setup like "Start Tracking Activity Today or Tomorrow?" If I set the activity to "Driving" will it delete that day or will it just show zero steps that day, bringing my average down even further? Thanks.

Best Answer

Hello - I also have this problem of wanting to delete Day 1 data.  Seems it would be a very common, close to universal problem, for anyone who sets up their Fitbit at a time other than first thing in the morning.  I set mine up at night, I walked very few steps recorded that day, so I want to delete that day.  But I don't want to set that day to "zero" steps b/c that would show an even lower average. I just want to delete the entire day. (Seems the software should include an option upon setup like "Start Tracking Activity Today or Tomorrow?") If I set the activity for Day 1 to "Driving" as recommended elsewhere in this Forum, will it delete that day or will it just show zero steps that day, bringing my average down even further? Is there another solution that work better? Thanks.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. I setup my Fitbit at night this past Monday and walked 57 steps before going to sleep. Since then, I've logged 12,000+ steps per day, but my average is much lower because of that first day of data. I tried the "driving" workaround but that did not solve the problem. There should be a way to just drop that first day of data from the averages.

Best Answer
I sympathize!! A month in, I've kind of forgotten about it and let it go, but it's a silly thing they should fix.
Best Answer

So silly..the same thing is happening to me. Walked between 9,000 and 14,000 steps a day and myaverage is just at 9k because I set up my Alta HR in the evening last Sunday. I know evenetually it won't matter...but, still seems silly and like there must be a way to work around it? I tried the "driving" thing but it doesn't help and also doesn't make any sense to me as to why it would.

If Fitbit customer care can't help, but are there any others who may have a better work around??

Thanks for any help! Seems like a simple easy thing to try and resolve so people can start out using their Fitbit as motivated and engaged in stats as they need to be.

Best Answer

So are the moderators just not going to respond further? I went in and followed the instructions exactly and it only put my steps lower rather than deleting completely, no matter how many overlapping drivings of a 24 hour period I put in. This is incredibly frustrating and I would like a resolution rather than a repeat of the same instructions over and over which obviously don't work. As for why we would want to delete the data, I'm super confused why this isn't really obvious. As everyone has stated over and over and over, it's because it's bringing our averages down.

Solution please, one that actually works. Thanks1st day after following instructions exactly1st day after following instructions exactlyvery bottom: driving activity for 24 hoursvery bottom: driving activity for 24 hourstried again for 24 hours -nothing workstried again for 24 hours -nothing works

Best Answer

@Sopapilla thanks for stopping by and for attempting the steps posted above. If that didn't work, then I suggest taking a look at this other post with steps on how to negate data. I really hope this helps! 

Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! Again, it absolutely did not help as you're repeating over and over and over again the same steps that aren't working! 

It would be awesome if you could actually read my post and look at the screenshots.

Putting driving in as an activity for a 24 hour period simply makes me have FEWER steps for that day, not NONE. I want NONE. This is the same problem someone else had in this very same thread and it's super frustrating to have you repeat the same steps over and over which don't work.

Best Answer

@Sopapilla -

Trust me when I say that having "bad" data irritates me to no end - look at what I do for a living in my signature line.

If your main issue is with the 18 steps driving your average down, won't having zero steps drive it down even more?

Having no steps does not erase the day, so your calculated average could quite possibly be using zero for the day instead of 18 - all the while having the same number of days to divide into the reduced number of steps.

And think about having 18 steps for the day or possibly more (I don't recalled what it was before 18, if you ever mentioned it) - it will affect the week pretty bad, but none of the following weeks' averages, and the month only a little and will pretty much be swallowed up and forgotten by the other 364 days when you calculate the average for the year.

So yes, it is a bit of a pain, and I can see where it would irritate your sense of order (as it would mine if I were to let it).

It's like you have a savings plan that has you putting 5 dollars a day in the cookie jar and you only put in a dime the first day. At the end of 30 days you have $145.10, an average of $4.83 a day - ONLY 97% of target. After 365 days you have $1,820.10 an average savings of $4.9866 a day. Sure you didn't hit your desired $5.00 a day, but by golly you have over $1,800 dollars. Nobody is going to put you down for only hitting 99.73% of your target after a year's time; at least not me.

And neither should you.

Personally - and remember I am pretty much a hard case when it comes to data - we all have more important things to worry about besides 18 steps, or whatever the real count was.

Good luck - and Happy Holidays to all. I think I'm off to play blocks with my 16-month-old Grandson, one of those things more important than 18 steps - any day of the year.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Yes, I can completely understand that, but this is the first time I've seen the fact that it won't negate the day, but will put in zero steps PLUS a day explained anywhere on the community. Everywhere that I've explored someone asking how to delete or negate a day so that averages aren't affected by that first day (when we all had no idea what we were really doing) a moderator- or fitbit.com (see screenshot below)- suggests the "driving" work around. So we all are going under the assumption that it is understood what we're asking, and the solution being suggested is actually a resolution to that problem. What you're saying is that the "solution" actually makes the problem worse.

PLEASE put in an option for users to choose which date they would like the data to begin drawing from. That, and the instructions should recommend beginning wearing the device on the first day you have a full day, and the moderators and website should really stop giving recommendations for something that makes the problem worse, and then marking the problem resolved when users are still having trouble. A lot of my frustration is it feels like no one's LISTENING to what we're asking: for the first day to be erased.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 4.36.36 PM.png

Best Answer

@Sopapilla -

Please don't treat my statement about the day not going away once the steps hit zero as "gospel". I don't know for sure, I only suspect.

And I have never experienced the "need" to remove steps for any reason.

I received my first Fitbit as a Gift three years ago and actually booked 2,104 steps that first day. And trust me, even the "number freak" in me wouldn't have worried about a much lower total.

And when I upgraded to my Alta HR in June, I was only able to book 282 steps out of my normal weekly average of 6,000 to 11,000 a day because I "gifted" my old device to someone that morning and my Alta HR was waiting for me when I got home from work and didn't get set up until after dinner.

Did it knock my average down? Yep - but I have a lot more things making my hair turn grey to worry about that.

Will I defend your right to complain - definitely.

I just hope this issue doesn't contribute to your grey hair population.

Take care - and good luck.

Now I'm really off to my 40 mile LA commute and play date with my Grandson.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer