Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install Android Fitbit app if Play Store isn't available

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there any source to obtain Fitbit Apps for Android other than the Play Store ? I do not have a Play Store App or account and do not intend to have one.

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hi @doej79779  the only way to get the app is from the Google Play Store. Google has Android apps and if you have an Android phone, it's where you need to go to at this time.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just put the Charge 4 up for sale then...............

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I don't understand, @doej79779 , but if you got the Fitbit to use, why not use it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pretty much useless without the app.........

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes

@doej79779  you have to get the app so you can use it as it was advertised to work. Google Play Store is where you get the app. If you only wanted a plain pedometer, they are available in many stores for under $12. You got the Fitbit for the whole experience, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, I'll keep searching.

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @doej79779@Odyssey13 Thanks for stopping by to help our friend.

@doej79779 Thanks for the details provided and your efforts while searching for the Fitbit app. As our friends mentioned, currently the Fitbit app can be found in the Play Store for Android phones, or the App store for iOS devices. I understand your phone doesn't have any of those stores available and my best advice is to borrow a compatible device from a friend or relative so you can complete the set up process and sync your details.

I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience. Every feedback shared in the forums helps us to improve and make Fitbit more useful for you, and yours won't be the exception.

Best Answer
Borrow a device ?? Why not make it directly downloadable from your site ? Makes no sense.

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) secure email.
Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the actual problem? I am assuming that you don't want to have a playstore account.

I am guessing that you could download the app file from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitbit.FitbitMobile&hl=en_US&gl=US 

and then install it manually.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

I'm not even sure that you can legitimately set up an Android phone without a Google account.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@PureEvil  you're right - just helped family members set up Motorola, Samsung and another Android phone within the past year. Couldn't set up a tablet without a Google account, either. When we set it up, we are able to do it without credit card information, but the Fitbit app is free.

Best Answer

@PureEvil & @Odyssey13 I am pretty sure you can enable a device on initial setup without a Google/GMail account. You will have no apps, other than those pre-installed; no phone updates, etc. but I believe the phone should function. My earlier question to @doej79779 was to get at the heart of the issue with not wanting to access the PlayStore. Is this an "evil Google" issue, technical issue or something else?

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer

@charleskn  it seems that the app is necessary - directions to set up

"If you’re setting up certain Fitbit devices with an Android phone, a notification appears on your phone to begin the setup process. Tap the notification and follow the on-screen instructions to set up your device. If you don’t have the Fitbit app, the notification takes you to the Google Play Store to download the app."

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Odyssey13 I only stated that it is not necesary to have a Google account to set up an Android phone. Yes, the fitbit app is necessary to use the Fitbit.

I am trying to understand the original poster's issue with using the PlayStore, and if the issue is technical, or something else. There are other sources for the Fitbit app, which can be found by using any decent web search engine. I cannot vouch for the reliability of those sources, but they exist, and it is possible to install the files (you are apparently not allowed to say the file type, here)  separately from the PlayStore.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer

@charleskn the last post was they are searching, but I doubt they will find a workaround. So many times a person will post and we never know if they found a solution to their issue. Guess you might not understand why they don't want to use the Play Store. I have family members who can't stand Apple products and those who don't like Google - it's always something! 

The Fitbit does require the app. An Android phone doesn't require a Google account, but if a person wants something not included with the phone's basic set up of apps, they will need to get one. I'm not sure why people don't like using the Google Play Store, as you don't need to pay to join, but just your email and password. I've set up phones and tablets without using anything on the Google Play Store, but it does limit the person to what is pre-installed on their device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can only guess as to the underlying issue (I note that they are using a proton mail account, which I am very familiar with). I can state that it is probably possible to do what they wish to do. However, I am guessing that Fitbit would not approve of any app source, other than the Play Store, or the App Store. 

Interestingly, older app versions are also available, which could provide a work-around for people with older phones running older operaion system versions. Again, non-sanctioned, but it is an option for someone with the knowledge.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer