Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I rename workouts?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I do a lot of workouts under martial arts... is there a way to custom make a workout e.g. dance, body combat, sh'bam (I'm a les mills user). Can we rename workouts either on the website or in the app? And if so, how? I cant always remember what I did and need to be ab;e to differentiate.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Itsreem55  On the computer Dashboard Under exercise if you scroll over to the left you will see a Pencil. This is for edit. Use that to rename your exercise.

editworkout.jpg

Phone just tap on it and you should see how to rename it.

Create Custom exercise. Scroll to the very bottom of the activity screen on the computer and you will see Create Custom exercise. Click on it and a screen will open up and you can name and add what ever you want. I will save it as a favorite so it easy to find. So you can have your Body Combat as a Custom and rename it. I like know what I did so have several Custom exercises

This can not be done in the app that I know of

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

To rename them you need to use Workout mode when you start.

You will need to set up custom ones for what you are doing. Once it syncs you can rename them

Community Council Member

Best Answer
How do I do this please???
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Itsreem55   Which Fitbit model do you use?  If you have a model with an Exercise app, you might get some help by using a different Exercise Shortcut.  Also, you can rename an exercise using the Categorize Exercise feature of the app.  You won't find Sh'bam, but dance is there.

I haven't found any way to rename an exercise on the web dashboard.

I don't have any insight about creating a custom exercise.  I am a lumper, not a splitter.  I use Workout on the Exercise app for many types of exercise and leave it at that.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Versa lite but I am struggling to understand your instructions 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Itsreem55   I think a good place for you to start is to read this Help Article How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device? 

I don't know what you mean by body combat, but Martial Arts sounds close. You might want to try your body combat using the Martial Arts shortcut.  In my case, if I am going to any type of workout that doesn't fall into one of the categories, I use Workout.   If I am doing a dance workout, I tap on tap on the Exercise icon on my Versa 2, choose Workout, then start and so on.  When I am done it syncs to the app.  On my app, when I tap on my Exercise Tile, then that Workout, the next page has all the details and an option at the top to Categorize Exercise.  When I tap on that, I can change it to Dance.  The choices are a little limited.  Sh'bam is a very specific choice, so it isn't on the list.

Does this help?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

@Itsreem55  On the computer Dashboard Under exercise if you scroll over to the left you will see a Pencil. This is for edit. Use that to rename your exercise.

editworkout.jpg

Phone just tap on it and you should see how to rename it.

Create Custom exercise. Scroll to the very bottom of the activity screen on the computer and you will see Create Custom exercise. Click on it and a screen will open up and you can name and add what ever you want. I will save it as a favorite so it easy to find. So you can have your Body Combat as a Custom and rename it. I like know what I did so have several Custom exercises

This can not be done in the app that I know of

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Is there ever going to be an option to rename all activities - as I run in different locations and they all just store as "run".

To compare like for like runs I have to export data to Garmin connect to review & compare.

If I select workout, so it can be renamed, it does not do GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where is this pencil? Why can I not attach a photo without knowing the "Source", "Image Description", and "Dimensions". Why can I not drag and drop a screenshot of my dashboard? But where is this pencil?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Thanks for stopping by @FunMarcus

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced to attach the picture and to find the pencil to rename your activities. I suggest trying the following to find the pencil: 

1. From the fitbit.com dashboard, click the Log tab.
  2. Click Activities
  3. Scroll down and you will find Activity history 
  4. Next to the name of your activity you will see the pencil, click on it, type the name that you prefer to use and then tap To update button 

To find information how to share pictures in your post you can review this thread

Hope this helps. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

Screenshot_20220818-131444_Chrome.jpg

 There is not a pencil next to every activity. As fitbit devices do not have the ability to track rowing, I have to use the spinning or biking tracker instead. I would like to edit the name afterwards to rowing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try using the outdoor workout

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the Fitbit dashboard settings for your device, you have to edit the exercise shortcuts to include workout, and have that upload to your tracker.

Then manually start the workout activity on your tracker when you do your workout.

I believe the outdoor workout will add GPS to the activity.

After the workout syncs to the fitbit (web) dashboard, click the pencil icon to rename. Once you create and use a name it will show up as a suggestion later. 

I have multiple strength training workouts that I do, all with different names.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try the workout, or outdoor workout, activity.

I believe you can edit auto-recognized activities, and the workout activity.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

CIndy's method only rename workout in the history section. Workout is still labelled as workout in the exercise shortcuts section of my charge 5. Is there a way to propagate the change to the shortcuts?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@domidodo   I'm sorry, but you can't change the names of the exercise shortcuts themselves.  They are named by Fitbit.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

These are great instructions. Unfortunately they did not work. I wanted to overwrite the auto recognized Outdoor biking activity to skiing and it does not update/save 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nomorewaste  For some reason, I have found that some exercises will update in the Fitbit app, but not on the fitbit.com activities dashboard. I would try both, and let us know what happens.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why would the dashboard not allow you to edit an activity that isn't Workout is beyond me

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Amstellodamois There have been some relatively recent changes and you rename certain other activities. You can't rename an activity with GPS data to a non-GPS activity, for example. The best thing to do it to look for the pencil in your activities dashboard to see which can be renamed.

60+, strength and cardio

Best Answer
0 Votes