Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I connect my Fitbit to my home wifi?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit seems to use mobile data even when I'm at home when I would have expected it to be connected to my home wifi.  Any suggestions please?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Thank you. That was how I thought it worked, but my fitbit app has been using a lot of mobile data, which prompted me to try and find out why. If I turn off ‘mobile data’ on my phone and then try to get info from my fitbit app – everything is blank and it says ‘no wifi’, even though my phone IS connected to my home wifi. I’m not very IT savvy – and I can’t understand why my fitbit app uses only mobile data and not my wifi.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@HelenRB -

Your device does not use mobile data directly. It communicates to the FitBit servers via your phone's FitBit app using your phone as its communication proxy. If your phone is connected to your wi-fi, you're covered.

Away from your home's wi-fi network your phone's cellular network (3G/4G/5G/etc) will be used unless, of course, you decide to turn that functionality off.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
Thank you. That was how I thought it worked, but my fitbit app has been using a lot of mobile data, which prompted me to try and find out why. If I turn off ‘mobile data’ on my phone and then try to get info from my fitbit app – everything is blank and it says ‘no wifi’, even though my phone IS connected to my home wifi. I’m not very IT savvy – and I can’t understand why my fitbit app uses only mobile data and not my wifi.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes

Up-date:  Problem now sorted. Although my phone settings were telling me that 'wifi was on' , when I clicked on to it I was not actually connected to my home system.  I've now 'connected' and the problem is solved.  You learn something every day!  Thank you for your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes