Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to manually input steps on a day I forgot to wear my Fitbit?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is it possible to manually log steps when I forgot to wear my Fitbit?
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@sf7307 -

Yes.

Go to the Log page of the web dashboard by clicking on the "Log" link highlighted in blue below, and click on the Activities label to get to the activities page.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 7.35.14 PM.png

At the bottom left of the Activities page is the "Log Activities" section. Click on the left icon of four which is the Walk activity.

Select the date, any start time you want and any duration, neither of the last two values matter if you truly did not wear the device during the complete 24-hour period. If you did wear it some of the time, enter a time and duration that does not match when you wore it. Then enter the number of steps in the distance field and select "steps" from the dropdown. As it says, calories are optional.

Once you have done that, click on the "Log" button and presto!.

The step count will change in the chart above the activity history where your manual entry now resides and on the main dashboard and mobile device once you sync.

I just tested the above by entering 500 steps during a 10 minute period starting at 03:15. I then sync'd my phone, noted the change, deleted the activity, sync'd my phone and am now back where I was.

Good luck.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

@sf7307 -

Yes.

Go to the Log page of the web dashboard by clicking on the "Log" link highlighted in blue below, and click on the Activities label to get to the activities page.

Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 7.35.14 PM.png

At the bottom left of the Activities page is the "Log Activities" section. Click on the left icon of four which is the Walk activity.

Select the date, any start time you want and any duration, neither of the last two values matter if you truly did not wear the device during the complete 24-hour period. If you did wear it some of the time, enter a time and duration that does not match when you wore it. Then enter the number of steps in the distance field and select "steps" from the dropdown. As it says, calories are optional.

Once you have done that, click on the "Log" button and presto!.

The step count will change in the chart above the activity history where your manual entry now resides and on the main dashboard and mobile device once you sync.

I just tested the above by entering 500 steps during a 10 minute period starting at 03:15. I then sync'd my phone, noted the change, deleted the activity, sync'd my phone and am now back where I was.

Good luck.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

@sf7307  I just want to add that manually added steps do not count towards total distance badges.  So if you add a lot of steps, you won't get your distance badge when you expect.  Likewise, they don't count in Challenges -- too easy to cheat!

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks for the head's up.  I rarely forget to wear my Fitbit, so I'm not too concerned for myself, but it's good information for everyone else!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sf7307,

If you (or someone reading this thread) forget your Fitbit at home then another viable option is to set up MobileTrack if it's available on your phone.  It uses your phone's accelerometer as an activity tracker and I believe that this still counts towards challenges and badges.

Also, if you forgot your Fitbit because you left it charging, one simple way to avoid this is to loop the charging cable through your keys before you plug it in.  You can't leave the house without your keys and thus you can't leave the house without your Fitbit.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@PureEvil -

I couldn't just vote for the post and leave it at that.

I do the same thing with my wallet, keys, and work access badge every evening. Stacking them up in one little pile.

Co-workers seem to forget their badges on a regular basis and notice I don't.

It's a derivative of the mantra we taught our son when he got his first car. When leaving the house, say and tap 'phone' 'wallet' 'keys' before you leave.

I still jokingly voice the mantra leaving for work 15 years later while adding 'badge'.

Best Answer