Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location Access & Blue Tooth Sharing - message keeps popping up

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Very frustrating -- beginning with a recent update, I receive the above message.  I have not enabled location sharing because I dont want Google and FitBit tracking me all the time.  Count my darn steps - don't need a pretty map.

Why must this message pop up every time I open my fit bit app. 

FitBit, you want something to track, track that I said "No Thanks" already and stop prompting me!!!!!

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @FatOldMan,

Fitbit requires location services to do things like mapping your run (or ride), but otherwise it requires it simply because trackers sync through bluetooth.

I'm not sure why this is 'recent', but Google had updated Android (Marshmallow in 2016, I believe) to require location access when using bluetooth.  Before that the Fitbit app did not require location services (well, unless of course, you're mapping your run).  Take it up with Google; they made that policy change.

I'm speculating that what might've occurred is that you either got a new phone or reinstalled the app and they're asking you for permissions again.  If you want other means to sync your tracker, then respond with that.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

GPS location and Bluetooth are different protocols. The former is to map runs (if I desire), the later is to synch my device (the original fitbits allowed you to plug into your USB port).  I have blue tooth enabled; and location services set as never.  All works -- but I get that annoying message.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FatOldMan,

I understand that they're different protocols.  Google made an update to the Android OS on 6.0 (Marshmallow) that requires the user to enable location services in order to use the bluetooth radio.  I'm sure you can find references of it in many places, but here's one.  This has nothing to do with Fitbit; take it up with Google.

In order for the Fitbit App to sync with the trackers, it needs to use bluetooth and hence it needs to enable location settings.  If you can still sync then one of two things is occurring:

• There's a bug with Android, because the way Google intended for Android to work it requires location services.
  • There's a different nearby device syncing your Fitbit.  This is plausible; any stray computer may sync your Fitbit.  This is true even if it's not your device and you've never logged in.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Best Answer
0 Votes

The answer is that Google (FitBit's parent) made a poor design choice in solving a potential MAC address leakage issue. 

On IOS 15.2, blue tooth pairing and synching work without location services enabled. We just get the annoying message.   I suspect that synching is possible with location services off on an Android - but I don't on an Android device so I will never know.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FatOldMan,

You said:
"I suspect that synching is possible with location services off on an Android - but I don't on an Android device so I will never know."

Fair.  I'm simply telling you what I know about how Google changed Android back in 2016, long before the Fitbit acquisition.  Everything I know tells me that you can't communicate through bluetooth on any recent version of Android without turning on location services.  If someone has gotten it to work (and they might have), it's a bug.  It's not intended to work that way.

You never mentioned which platform you're running on.  With your reference to Google, I assumed that it was Android.  I don't own any Apple devices, so I can't attest to how it behaves on those devices.

That said, you can also sync with Windows through the Fitbit App or Fitbit Connect, though you may need a Fitbit USB dongle for that.

Frank | Washington, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

My iPhone is set to update automatically (iOS). I’ve been using the app and Charge 4 for a year, and this annoying pop up every time only started within the last week or two.  My guess is Fat Old Man is onto something.

Best Answer
0 Votes