Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Mac) Fitbit Icon Disappears from Taskbar

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know there are some answers to the icon disappearing from the taskbar, and I know the response to those questions has been to uninstall and then reinstall the Fitbit app. This works, however, I have to do this every single time I sync my Fitbit. It's ridiculous. Is there a better solution to this issue? I've updated everything, and there has been no change. It is not the end of the world, but it is very obnoxious, and I'm hoping there's a more permanent solution.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

Hello @olsonn1013,

Welcome to the community!

Your Fitbit App does not really disappear from your taskbar, it's merely hidden since you haven't used it in a while.  You can simply click on the little "up arrow" down by the taskbar to see all your hidden taskbar icon (Fitbit included).  Like this:

fitbit-tray.jpg

Alternatively, you can simply click on the start menu (or hit the Windows button on your keyboard) and start typing "Fitbit Connect".  It should find it and you can just run it from there.  Once it opens, there'll be an option to "Sync Now".

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I have a Mac, so no Windows start menu.
I've checked hidden tasks, and it is not there. Also, I try to sync a
couple of times every day, so this is something that is happening every
day; it's not like I'm going a week in between syncs. I can go into the
Finder and find the Fitbit connect app, but then it just has me uninstall
and reinstall again. It's just very frustrating because this is an everyday
thing and it only happens after I do a sync. Poof, gone and I have to
uninstall and reinstall before syncing again.
Best Answer

A very warm welcome to the Community @olsonn1013! Thanks for your great post @PureEvil. That was my first thought when I was reading the OP. 

@olsonn1013, I'm thinking that perhaps there is an update available for the Mac itself. It is possible that there is an OS update for the computer. Let's try to check on that and, if there is an update available, update the computer. 

If there is no update to be installed, I recommend uninstalling the Fitbit Connect software, then deleting any and all Fitbit related files on your computer. After making sure every Fitbit file is gone, download the software again and install it again from scratch. It is possible that some file or function was not properly installed for some reason. 

Let's try to go with those two troubleshoots and keep me posted on how it goes. Smiley Happy

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Same thing keeps happening to me and my Mac. When I do find the icon through the launchpad, I click on it, and it looks as if it's about to start, but it doesn't.  I've already deleted and reinstalled.  This should not keep happening.

Best Answer

Hey @RebeccaRebeccaM! Welcome to the Forums.

In this case, I'd recommend that you try to uninstall the Fitbit Connect software, delete every file that is related to it and then download it once again.

Please try that and let me know how it goes. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

I've had the same issue since I bought the fitbit in January. And it's been constant. I only sync on my computer, and I sync it several times per day, so I know it isn't "hiding itself" due to inactivity. Every two or three days, I'm forced to reinstall and "update for bug fixes." It's obnoxious. 

Best Answer

Hello @hawkssb04.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the matter. I will be sure to pass this information on to the rest of the team. Whenever we do have any updates we will be sure to let everyone know.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Answer

I have exactly the same thing happening. My Mac software is up to date and overtime I charge or sync the device I have to uninstall Fitbit Connect and do it again. It wastes time and makes me furious. My husband saved to buy me a Fitbit for Christmas so I can't junk it and buy a Garmin. 

Best Answer

We all do this EVERy time we want to sync or track. I think your Fitbit Connect software is probably not compatible with Macs

Best Answer

Hello @SuzeM. Thanks for joining the Community.

We appreciate your feedback on the matter. I will let the rest of the team know that this is happening, like I mentioned before. Whenever we do have any news on this we'll let everyone know.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This happens to me too, but it happens less frequently if I keep the .dmg mounted after installation.

That still isn't good enough obviously but it's something Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @Otto2.

Thanks for the heads up about the .dmg. How much would you say that keeping the .dmg mounted helps? 

I will keep my eyes open for any updates on the matter.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or if you need any help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get this issue intermittently - it's nothing like as frequent as every sync but one day I'll just look at the menubar and the icon has gone - or else when you try to start the FitBit Sync software it just crashes straight away.

Sadly the only solution seems to be to reinstall (I'm even thinking of bookmarking the download page as I have to search for it every time!)

I personally don't want to keep the dmg mounted - I hate an untidy Mac! - and I am not convinced it's a solution. It is also nothing to do with keeping the Mac's other software updated as I always download the latest versions of OS X etc. (and the disappearing/crashing issue does not coincide with the upgrades, either)

Suffice to say the issue has been going on for at least a year (when I first got the tracker) so I'm not sure there'll ever be a solution. The error log reports when it crashes aren't exactly helpful either.

Best Answer

Thanks for your feedback on this @SunsetRunner.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for any updates on the matter. At this moment there are none, but I will be passing the information on to the rest of our team. 

Thanks for your patience. Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is constantly happening to me. I have  an Imac (Sierra) have uninstalled throw away files and re -installed and it happens to me almost every other day. The icon disappears from task bar then I go to apps try to open from there something cliks and shakes but it doesn't open. It is frustrating ...something isn't compatible with this Alta HR app and my Imac just bought it 2 weeks ago. 

Best Answer

Thanks for joining the Forums @rrod.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention too. We have no news or updates on the situation, but we will be letting everyone know when we have any news.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this issue too (obviously like the rest of mac world). I love fitbit but I can't help feeling that there is a failure by fitbit to take this seriously.

Paul H

Best Answer

Paul as you can see the first post on this thread concerning the disappearance of the fitbit icon from taskbarl was posted almost a year ago and yet no solution to the problem.  I've had my alta hr for almost 3 weeks now and have continued to re-install app. Good luck.

Best Answer

I don't think they can fix it, or they'd have done it.  I don't even bother syncing anymore.  Too much trouble.  I'm looking for a different brand.  These don't work.

Best Answer