Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually entering steps screws up total number of steps?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there,

My FitBit was running low on battery so I took it off for about an hour. At the time I took it off I had walked 1,512 steps. I went for a walk during the time it was off and walked 3,340 steps. When I manually added those steps, the dashboard only added a portion of my steps to the log. So my daily steps now show as 2,808. This does not make any sense at all. My daily steps should be 1,512 + 3,340 = 4,852. I'm deeply confused by this and don't really know how to fix it. Any thoughts on how to get this to show correctly would really help me out.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Have you checked the start and end times for your manually entered walk? If they were off slightly so that it overlapped the time you were wearing your fitbit then it would overwrite the tracked steps for that period. If this is the case then delete the manual entry and re-enter it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes. I double checked and am positive that the time entered manually does
not in any way overlap. The walk was only 22 minutes but my Fitbit was off
much longer than that so it's easier to see the period of inactivity on the
chart. And I know precisely the start and end time of the activity
(walking) because I had to time it in order to get back to work for a
meeting. Totally annoyed.
--
Amy C. Oliver
Marketing Strategist and Consultant

Hours of Availability:
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 6:30pm
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. I hope someone else can solve the mystery and, even better, get your steps back.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too! Thanks for trying though. It seems a really strange problem. Maybe
it's a technical glitch and a forum moderator will be able to step in and
help figure it out.
--
Amy C. Oliver
Marketing Strategist and Consultant

Hours of Availability:
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 6:30pm
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had something similar happen today.  The battery in my Fitbit Zip must have died sometime during the workday today, as I became aware of it when I changed at the gym and moved the Fitbit to my workout shorts.  I then quickly changed the battery, and went on to log 15,000+ steps.  However, when I went home to sync the Fitbit with my computer, the Fitbit dashboard quickly changed the step count to zero on my Fitbit and did not log a single step for the day.  This is beyond totally annoying. I, too, hope a moderator can explain just what in the world is happening - their product should not blithely wipe out an entire day's work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes