Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map data from hike erroring out, and other mapping bugs.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went on a long 6 day hike through the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, and used my Charge 2 HR and fitbit app to create hiking maps. Most of the time this worked but there were multiple issues. I will focus on the most critical ones in hopes that the map data can be retrieved. It was a trip we planned for a year so it would be a huge loss if not.

1. Two of the maps won't load at all. They just produce an error. Under the hood, there is a 504 error code trying to retrieve the json object with the data. Here's how my activity page looks: My Activity PageMy Activity Page

The id for this exercise is 10193605621. I have the exact same issue with id 10183460431. I'm hoping someone can help. Sadly, this represents the two most interesting days of the hike.

2. Of the ones that DO load, one of them the data is horribly inaccurate, as in a big section of data is apparently missing in the middle. The id of this one is 10183460432. It will take a couple screen shots to demonstrate this one, but this was a nearly 10 hour hike as is correctly captured, but most of the day, probably 6 hours of hiking, was in descent down the mountain to a river valley, and the data sort of skips all of that. It marks the top of the mountain as 1.29 miles, and then suddenly leaps all the way to the river bed at the foot of the mountain and marks it as 1.30 miles. The map looks like it's missing some data and has half the gps data for the downhill portion, but the heart rate, calories, pace and elevation charts just jump from the top of the mountain all the way down to the riverbed. If I remember correctly, the Charge 2 showed about 8.5 miles total at the end of the activity and about 26k steps, but the activity page shows 2.84 miles total, and only 10,485 steps out of the 35,692 it registers for me that day. Strangely the duration of the hike and total calories look to be correct. 

Can an engineer at Fitbit look into this? Is there a way to retrieve this data off the API since I can't seem to load it up from your website?

I'll follow up with the other issue I ran into if a technical person at Fitbit shows genuine interest in getting these things right.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Thanks for joining the Forums @meshane.

I can definitely see how both of this issue can be very frustrating. Both of these issues are known by our team and they're being worked on. We do not have anything specific on the first issue you mentioned, but we do have a workaround for the second. It mostly seems to be the 'Walk' and 'Hike' activities that show issues. If you select the 'Run' one you should provide you with accurate details. Please do give it a try.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes