Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random friend requests?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How often do you get random friend requests from complete strangers? Would it seem strange to get a friend request from someone basically one generation age difference and with about a 4 times greater daily step average or is that just overly skeptical? Are there any online security risks to accepting friend requests based on the standard information available through this site? Apologies if any of those seem dumb but I'm new to this and still exploring and learning as I go.

Best Answer
141 REPLIES 141

Do you do challenges? I get random friend requests all the time, but most of them are people I have done challenges with. Some are people who see my posts on here. I don't think there is any harm in accepting all friend requests. They can't find out anything about you you aren't willing to reveal.

Best Answer

Yes, I do the workweek challenge but the person isn't in that. I've also done a NYC and Yosemite challenge. I didn't realize others could see that I did those if we weren't already friends. That may be the source. Thanks.

Best Answer

People can send you a friend request by clicking on you from the boards, from challenges, and even by a name search.  I have about 100 friends on my list.....and I know 3 of them in my non-digital world.

I like a big friends list so I get in on more challenges and so I can work my way up the ratings incrementally.  I find it useful.

Best Answer

1st  there are security risks whenever you are online, the level of risk has much to do with the precautions you take

2nd  friend requests that are a generation apart or at different levels ... ask yourself how would they know when  your profile reveals absolutely none of this info whatsoever ... for myself, I ignore any request from any user that reveals no info 

3rd  it is entirely up to you to accept or ignore any request or to delete any friend you have accepted 

Best Answer

I get at least two or three per day because I am active here and in the app community. The only friend requests I do not accept is when there is no information at all- no picture, not a real name and no stats. Makes me wonder why they want to be friends, meaning for what purpose and I ignore the request. I have been very fortunate to actually make friends through the requests- people I talk to with some regularity. I say accept until they give you reason to delete..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi! Just want to ask you if you have a way to stop the people from adding you? is there a way to block them before they can send you a request? will be waiting for your reply thanks in advance.

Best Answer

If you find their profile I believe there is an option to block them. If a member is giving you a hard time you can contact support as well. I think you will find most folks here are friendly and have the best intentions. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
so your saying I need to acces their profile first then block them? is there a way where they cant add me at all? like on facebook there's no add friend option but you can follow.
Best Answer

In the settings menu there's a privacy tab where you can lock down your information so no one  can see it or only friends can see it, etc. I don't think there's a way to stop people from trying to add you. However, you have control over whether you accept them or not.

Best Answer

I have not ever sent a request to an unknown person until this week.  I hadn't connected with the fitbit community so I wandered over to this page and started scrolling thru the posts and I really appreciated @emili posts as I scrolled the "inspired" posts looking for some, ummm, inspiration!!!  I eventually went to her fitbit profile and clicked on it to friend her.  I thought I could learn a lot from following @emili.  I'm glad she accepted my request! 🙂  I asked to be added by several people (strangers) this week most of them added me.  I posted my name to the latest "add friends" post and I've had a handful of awesome people "friend" me. 

I have some things totally dialed in (like my food intake), being active - not so much.  I'm much better on activity than I was a couple years ago, but, I'm still not where I want to be and I know I can learn more.  I want to find people who are engaged and inspiring to help keep me motivated and pushing.  I know for me, that's going to involve finding like minded new friends.

Best Answer

Happy to have you!! Say hi anytime. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I have received two spam type friend requests in the last week.

I was surprised to find out that FitBit doesn't have a way to report spam or bogus friend requests.

When I reached out to them they did not seem very interested/concerned.

Best Answer

I received a couple of spam friend requests this week, too.  I blocked them.  I noticed both have a website address with "sexy.url" in it.  So I think these spam requests may be generated by the same entity.

Best Answer

I have received the same friend requests. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I wasn't sure what was happening. The request show up in my email and on my fitbit, but when I go the app I don't see the request there. I accepted one or two and then I noticed the sexy... url. I deleted them right away, and will not accept any more

Best Answer

I'm sending friend requests to random people because most of my friends irl are long haul truck drivers, and the ones that have a Fitbit are either using the Fitbit without apps, or don't get enough steps in a day to pose a challenge!

I hope I'm not freaking anyone out, just looking for some additional motivation by comparing stats with Fitbit "friends" on here! If we happen to become talking friends instead of stat friends, even better.

Best Answer

I don't have a problem getting friend request from "real" people, the more friends the better for challenges. It just freaks me out when the friend request has a strange url and does not have a stats listed.

Best Answer

I have gotten three like this in the past week , from three different fake profiles. I block the person and ignore the request, but it's creepy.

Best Answer

I just don't understand why Fitbit doesn't seem to care. 

Toodles! 
Sent from where I am

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Hi this has started happening to me in the last two days. When I logged onto my profile it was saying this about me. So I deleted this and changed my password. However people are still saying they have accepted my frien request when I haven’t sent one. 

Mom starting to think I’ll stop using my fit bit. As I can’t think of anything else to do 

Best Answer