Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random sync?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I gave my father, who owns no computer or smartphone, a FitBit. Thinking that I would need to periodically visit and synchronize his data, I created a separate email and Fitbit account for him. However, somehow, as if by magic, when I stop by to sync his data or even just login to check his dashboard, I find his data completely up to date and already synchronised! How is this possible? Is he somehow connecting with random strangers' smartphones at WalMart or the Senior Nutrition Center?  A clandestine dongle lurking at the Social Security Office? Members of my work users group has also noticed this phenomona. They keep their phone bluetooth off so they can secretly sandbag step counts for contests only to find their data already synced and visible to all competitors... Makes it difficult to argue with the "Big Brother Is Watching" crowd...

Thanks!

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

It won't be via a phone as it only syncs devices that are logged on to the app.

However, if the fitbit gets within range of any PC with the software installed and the wireless dongle in place then it will quite happily sync with that. Given that the range is about 20 feet could it be a neighbour?

There's no security issue with this as the dongle and PC act merely as gateways to the servers - they can't access any of the data.

You may be able to narrow down where this PC is by checking the time of the sync.

Best Answer

Hello @jerryobaby and I've noticed you haven't received a proper welcome to our community.

Just like my friend @SteveH mentioned. This also happened to me a few times. Most regularly I used my Android to sync my information, but I always have the bluetooth off on my device. But In my home, I have my laptop with the dongle plugged, so as soon I'm parking int the entrance of my home, my tracker has already uploaded my stats. So it might be possible that any other Fitbit user around your father has a computer with a dongle plugged, just like @SteveH said. Once your tracker is paired to your Fitbit.com account, your tracker should automatically sync every 15 minutes when it is in range of a wireless USB sync dongle inserted into a computer running the Fitbit Connect software. 

See ya later fellows. I'll be around.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer