Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step tracking when not walking or running?!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So we finally took our boat out for the first time this season.  This is also the first time since I have owned my Fitbit.  The water was choppy and it was a cold day, so I was in "motion" due to movement of the boat, but was actually standing in place.  I didn't actually look at my device while underway, but suddenly I felt the vibration that i reached my step goal!  I guess the boat's movement over the waves was sensed as steps.  Anyone else have a similar situation?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@Tisch0791, you will notice the same thing while riding a bike, a motorcycle, an ATV, etc.  The movements of the wrist from bouncing, turning the wheel/handlebar, etc., will cause steps to be recorded.  Normally, though, the number of "false" steps is low compared to the overall daily step total.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @Tisch0791. Hello @USAF-Larry.

@USAF-Larry Thanks for chiming in to answer @Tisch0791's question!

@Tisch0791 I hope you had a great first boat ride for the season. 

Regarding the additional steps, you can manually log a driving activity and that should overwrite the steps recorded during the boat ride. 

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply!  Since it was such a choppy ride due to the weather, I had over 17,000 steps recorded and I bet over 10,000 were just from the boat!  Funny thing is I was in a group challenge over the weekend and I smoked all my friends because of the "steps" on the water.  I came clean and conceded to the 2nd place friend LOL!

Best Answer

Thank you for the info!

Best Answer

Hey @Tisch0791.

That sounds like a fun story to tell in the future. Glad you did the honorable thing! 

Anyways, if you have the time perhaps you would be interested in visiting one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other Forum members.

Hope to see you around.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer