Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step vs stride

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In Advanced Setting Help Info., it appears to me that Fitbit is using ‘step’ and ‘stride’ to mean the same thing. Am I understanding the article correctly?

(I believe ‘step’ and ‘stride’ actually mean different things. A ‘step’ length is this: (for example) raise right foot, step forward, place right foot down and measure. A stride is a complete right, left, right sequence. Thus, a stride is double the length of a step.)

In terms of following the directions correctly, this is very important!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@JanetTabinThanks for keeping our minds active.. Stride is covered by two definitions and you are correct... Fitbit should not be using Stride Length..... not many Fitbitters would realise that..

The medical one for Gait is Stride Length, which is the placement of right foot and the left foot = Stride Length two successive steps.  On the basis that one of the steps could be of different length because of the Gait..

The other is Stride which is the measurement of successive steps over distance and dividing the the Distance by the number of steps taken. =  Stride.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@JanetTabin can you post a couple link to the help doc please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JanetTabinThanks for keeping our minds active.. Stride is covered by two definitions and you are correct... Fitbit should not be using Stride Length..... not many Fitbitters would realise that..

The medical one for Gait is Stride Length, which is the placement of right foot and the left foot = Stride Length two successive steps.  On the basis that one of the steps could be of different length because of the Gait..

The other is Stride which is the measurement of successive steps over distance and dividing the the Distance by the number of steps taken. =  Stride.

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Rich_Laue, I am sorry but I don't understand what you are asking for. Janet

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JanetTabinThis is probably what @Rich_Laue meant with this snap shot and when you click the Learn More it's all about Stride Length, not Step Length. An interesting bit of research for me on a Sunday morning to get the grey matter going.. I wasn't aware of the difference...

Here is Fitbit's Help

And here is the clinical definition..

stride length.jpg

@JanetTabin wrote:

Rich_Laue, I am sorry but I don't understand what you are asking for. Janet

Best Answer
0 Votes