Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing with Apple’s Health App

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have Cervical dystonia and use use the Apple health app to help track my condition.  It would be great to see Fitbit synchronize directly with the Apple Health app. 

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

Give permission for the app to read from Fitbit for MyFitnessPal and also MyFitnessPal to Apple health

Best Answer
0 Votes

Carol, that is not true at all. Fitbit has access to all the HeathKit APIs needed to enable syncing between the Fitbit app and Apple Health. They just refuse to do so. I’m an app developer, and I can definitely say that if Fitbit wanted to support Apple Health, they can easily do it.

These are excerpts from several sources so you won’t have to just take my word for it:

“Fitbit has made the decision not to support Apple’s HealthKit, and it thus doesn’t integrate with the Health app.” From Michael Kummer (https://bit.ly/2yi19xK)

“Fitbit has stated that it is not ready to approve direct syncing with the Apple Health app yet. This has, of course, been a customer request for years now. So third-party app developers have seized the opportunity and created apps that sync the Fitbit app with the Apple Health app.” From iPhone Life Magazine (https://bit.ly/3a9njPT)

“For awhile, users have been requesting a sync feature between Fitbit and Apple Health. Unfortunately, Fitbit still doesn't have plans to implement a convenient sync feature between the two.” From iMore (https://bit.ly/2ylJoNU)

Best Answer

That is good to know, I'll be getting a different product then

Best Answer

@jrlbenedict,

Welcome to the community!

I'm a bit curious, if Apple's HealthKit API is publicly available...  And presumably so is Fitbit's API...  Is there anything that is stopping an app developer like you from writing an application or service that simply collects that data from Fitbit and plops it into Apple's HealthKit?

I, for one, would rather have my health information reside in a platform that doesn't require me to use a particular brand of phone.  Fitbit works on iOS, Android, and even Windows.  HealthKit does not.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Actually now there is an app that helps sync Fitbit with Apple health. This is app is called sync solver. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So many replies to this post .. I was using a third party app to sync and worked fine. Sadly, this post is lasting longer than my charger 3. My Fitbit charger 3 lasted less then a 1 1/2 years making unlikely I would buy anything else from them.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

This  is  so  true !  

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has nothing to do with Apple. The API exists fit bit if they chose wisely could use it. They choose not to. This is a poor decision by Fitbit, not a problem with Apple.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rkedge,

I'm not sure what the issue is...  The API for Fitbit is available; the API for HealthKit is presumably available.

What's stopping anyone, including you, from collecting that information from Fitbit and posting it on HealthKit.  Why does it need to be done by Fitbit?  Or Apple for that matter?

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PureEvil,

The issue is that FitBit's API is extremely limited. All you get is summary data, (total steps, flights, calories, etc. with no time stamp other than the day.  You get resting heart rate, no detailed heart rate data.

Again, Apple has nothing to do with it. FitBit either needs to expand their API so third party apps can get usable data, or sync detailed data directly with HealthKit.

Personally, I have an old charge 2 and I'm about ready for a new device, but if this doesn't change, it won't be another FitBit.

Best Answer

Fitbit is a Google company. Makes sense that it would like to keep info from Apple. Maybe this limited API is one of the ways they keep it locked down and proprietary.

Unfortunate that our info is a commodity and limits the ability to make our info useful to ourselves.

Best Answer

Of course this won't change, did you notice how old this thread is? I got a Charge because I wanted to wait for the price of the Apple Watch 5 to go down, but you really get what you pay for.

I'll be out of here by christmas, the Apple Watch is going to do sleep tracking too, I hope they're happy with keeping their (my...) data to themselves

Best Answer

@mchccc I'm right behind you!

Best Answer

I came across this thread as I specifically was looking to find ways to synch my data to the health kit in anticipation of leaving Fitbit.   I’ve got over 8 years worth of data in Fitbit that I don’t want to lose.  It’s such a shame that I’m leaving the company after so many years. I just wish they would have integrated better with Apple.  Hopefully I can port the info over the next few months and switch to an iWatch this fall when the new one is expected to release.  I’ve really loved my Ionic, but the left button has gone out and it’s just a matter of time It goes out and I have to Replace it, either stick with Fitbit or go to the new Iwatch. This lack of integration is making the decision easier. 

Best Answer

This does not support period tracking data sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So just like that you’re going to sweep the problem under the rug?? No shame. The very least you could do is run the subject up the ladder if you’re going to get involved in the conversation.

Do me a favor and tell your higher-ups the community is disapproving of their inability to cooperate with Apple, and they should start making plans with them ASAP if they want to keep their business.

Best Answer

Is it tho...? Most of my third party health apps connect with Apple but not with fitbit. Seems more like fitbit is having a harder time breaking ground than Apple is...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MyMom - you wrote:

Do me a favor and tell your higher-ups the community is disapproving of their inability to cooperate with Apple, and they should start making plans with them ASAP if they want to keep their business.

I feel like a broken record, I’ve said this so many times. It take two to make this happen and Apple is not willing to cooperate. Why should they? They want to sell Apple Watches, not contribute to Fitbit’s success. 

Best Answer

The problem with this app is it doesn’t sync period data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not trying to spam the thread. I thought I was replying to individual posts...

Best Answer