Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Totals Showing Wrong Step Totals

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Good morning.

As at September 22nd, this problem persists.  My weekly totals decrease.  Todays total is about 5,000 steps less than yesterday's not including the 5,000 steps I have done today.  In fact it looks like it recorded my 5,000 steps today and deducted them from the weekly total. 

Moderator Edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A very warm welcome to the Forums @lonepine! Thanks for chiming in @MrMarv.

@lonepine I think I know what is going on. For the weekly steps, keep in mind that the Dashboard is using the current day plus the previous 6 days. Because of this, you will definitely see a reduced number of steps during the mornings or the beginning of each day. So, basically, the previous 7th day is being rolled over to the next day and the total steps for the current day always start at 0 and thus the number of steps is reduced.

I hope this clarifies the situation! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Without screen shots it is a little difficult to understand the issue clearly, however...

Is it possible that you are comparing the weekly step count in the Fitbit app that summarizes by the week you define (Monday - Sunday or Sunday - Saturday) and the web activities pages which by default summarizes steps by seven calendar days regardless of the start date?

My IOS App and the Web totals are off by 12,000 steps because the app has 5 days of data (Monday - Friday) and the web has seven days (Saturday - Friday).

However, if I select a custom range of dates to match my defined week September 18 - September 22 (can't select past the current date), the numbers match. And if select September 11 - September 17 on the web activities page the numbers match exactly the week with my IOS app, both daily and week totals..

If this doesn't correctly address the issue, I apologize for taking up your time.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Hi Marv,

Thanks for your reply.  I just plain didn't describe the problem properly.

By weekly total I actually meant the accumulated total day by day.

For instance, last night my total steps were 56,435. 

This morning it read 41,300.

Today I logged in 10,844 steps and the total reads 56,435. (again).

I do appreciate the time and energy you put into responding to my question.

Regards,

Lonepine

P.S. Sorry, by screen shot do you mean copying and pasting my dashboard?  I wasn't able to.  I am a senior new on computers and am still pretty much of a technot.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A very warm welcome to the Forums @lonepine! Thanks for chiming in @MrMarv.

@lonepine I think I know what is going on. For the weekly steps, keep in mind that the Dashboard is using the current day plus the previous 6 days. Because of this, you will definitely see a reduced number of steps during the mornings or the beginning of each day. So, basically, the previous 7th day is being rolled over to the next day and the total steps for the current day always start at 0 and thus the number of steps is reduced.

I hope this clarifies the situation! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. 

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Thank you for the warm welcome C. Lanuza.

Ah, mystery solved.  Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Lonepine

Best Answer

Hey @lonepine.

You're very welcome. Glad to know that my explanation did work.

If you have the time, perhaps you could try to visit one of our Discussion boards. You can talk about a lot of different topics with other Community members.

Hope to see you around! 

Best Answer
0 Votes