Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does your step count reduce when you sync?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I noticed a while ago that sometimes when I sync my inspire HR the step count that is synced is lower than what was shown on the device, and after syncing the number shown on the device is also reduced. I always assumed this was some correction for inaccuracies in the device tracking, but the other day I went for a big hike and when I synced my fitbit the step count reduced from 37k to 26k. I'm guessing the tracking can't be that inaccurate, so am wondering why this happens?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi, @ambienthamster , do you have more than one Fitbit on your account or do you have “MobileTrack” (which counts using your phone in case you forgot your Fitbit)?  This step recalculation can happen if the Fitbit program is trying to reconcile two different step counts.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Julia, nope, I don't have either of those things

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @ambienthamster , I am sorry - if you have no other device that might also be counting your steps (any third party app connected to your Fitbit, she asks, clutching at straws?)  I don’t have a better explanation.  

You could give your Fitbit a restart.  Instructions here .  A restart can definitely fix many problems (and I am sure a restart will be Fitbit’s official advice) but for an issue like the one you have reported, I would be sceptical about whether a restart was anything more than voodoo.  But you could try it!

Basically, if you see a step count on your .Fitbit on your wrist, that number should sync to your account, unless some other number, coming from a different device or third party app or program is also trying to sync, and then in that case the Fitbit algorithm will attempt to reconcile the numbers of steps recorded during the same time period.

I am so sorry not to have a solution for you, but if you are willing to keep a log of what you are seeing, and posting again, it might help someone to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes