Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exercise tracking

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In Premium, I'd like to track my treadmill walking, but the only option for mechanical is elliptical. I can't use the 'walking' because that follows the track I take - but not outside in 5 degrees! So onto the treadmill. I am, however, able to track the number of steps/distance, but not as an official 'exercise'. Also, while on the treadmill, I have to swing my arms in order to have the steps counted on my Fitbit! If I grip the pulse taker handles on the treadmill, I loose steps. Is there anything that can be done? Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I haven’t had a Fitbit where “ treadmill” was not one of the exercise shortcuts. you need to add it on the app. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

It sounds like you have GPS set to automatically turn on when set to Walk; I'm sure there is a way to turn that off.  But still have same problem.

There is no way that I know of to avoid that problem with treadmill.  When holding handrail, steps are not counted so no distance but will get heart rate so correct calorie burn and zone minutes.

Or if step count and distance are more important to you, you can put tracker in pocket and probable get good step count and distance but lose heart rate data, and therefore calorie burn and zone minutes, for that time.  One alternative is if you can hold hand rail only with non-fitbit wrist, but not worth risking safety.

Perhaps to a lesser extent, same situation is faced pushing baby stroller or shopping cart.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
Thank you.

Member ARSL, SPJ, MTCA, WMLA, Commissioner Emeritus, MBLC

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”  -Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ancienne I get around this by putting the Fitbit on my ankle when I'm active but not moving my arms. If I position it correctly, I am able to measure heartrate as well as steps. I'm small enough that the large strap that came with my Fitbit will fit around my ankle. If I don't feel like switching bands, something like this also works. 

20230917_133813.jpg

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer
Great idea, thanks!

Member ARSL, SPJ, MTCA, WMLA, Commissioner Emeritus, MBLC

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”  -Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven’t had a Fitbit where “ treadmill” was not one of the exercise shortcuts. you need to add it on the app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes