Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does the step counter work?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have signed up for a 100km walk which will last +24 hours (hoping that I can finish). How does the step counter work? Will it re-set by midnight or will it count the steps for the entire walk if?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

With the charge 2 you can track manually or let it auto detect. The issue will be if the battery will last that long on a single charge.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

it will reset at midnight. but you will be able to see your steps in the activity section for your walk

Best Answer
0 Votes

it resets at midnight, but if you have a charge 2 the step count won't be right anyway. mine counts when i move my hands, when I sleep, when I'm setting. I didn't buy it to wear on my leg. The specs. says it will count steps, not arm movements, Mine says i'm walking 12,000 to 16,000 steps a day, but really only about 5,000 steps.  Sad.  Deception.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndreasW, which Fitbit do you own?

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey, Charge 2

Best Answer
0 Votes

With the charge 2 you can track manually or let it auto detect. The issue will be if the battery will last that long on a single charge.

Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rxwecl28, if you want 100% accurate step counts, you'll need to wear a pedometer on your ankle. There is no way for it to know every time you take a step on your wrist or in your pocket. It can only guess. My Ionic is easy to trick, but it's still pretty close to my actual steps for the day. I just try to avoid overt arm movements when I'm sitting down or in bed.

Fitbit Ionic
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for your help. I like to keep track of my daily steps with in reason. I work all day with hands & even the long band won’t fit around my ankle. I had a Basis three years ago even then it worked great. But Intel Bought them out and shut them down because Intel was making chips for other big names companies (Maybe Fit Bit). Fit Bit is so eager to sell (14000 reviews) on Amazon alone, they boast of counting steps but don’t even mention, arm movement or that it will count when sitting or sleeping. At least that way you could have an informed choice, The money in more important to them than a few unhappy customers. I would love to have an Ionic, but that and their scale are getting bad reviews. I will order a new Garmin, I know it counts great because I had an earlier model. Thanks again for your help.
Best Answer
0 Votes