Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

map not loading

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

i have a charge 2 fitbit which i link to my phone to map any walks i do, which usually works really well. i recently did a big walk of approx 40km and linked to my phone etc to map it. on the fitbit app, the map just won't load and constantly shows the wee circle thing circling. on the fitbit dashboard, it shows the map thumbnail but when i click on it to see the big map along with all the other stats, it shows loading for a few moments then says "error". 

is there anything i can do to fix this? 

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

Welcome to the Community @eakwil.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll be letting the team know about it. Whenever there is any news on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks for your understanding. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
Hi,

The problem what that their "Web Department" made a change back in October. As a result the maps (both new and old) will no-longer load in IE. I've loaded the latest version of Google-Chrome and it works. This is a "Pain in the Butt" because I now have a browser that is only used to "Paste in the URL's" for the maps.

However, others cannot get it to work in Google Chrome either. Not sure what the problem is, all I know was it "Was NOT Broke, Until they Fixed it last October!"

As for the Garmin GPS tracker, a great feature (which is unavailable for Fitbit's) is that the GPS will not average in your time stopped Waiting at Stoplights. You can set it to turn off (then turn back on) at say below 2 or 3 mph. This is a great feature.

With my Fitbit Surge I have to turn it off (Pause) at each Stoplight. Then remember to turn it back on (Un-Pause) when I start going again. People whom I meet on the trails have told me Garmin works much better.

Just hope their IT Department does not hire any employees from Fitbit. Then you will be stuck with the same problem.

Mark
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Moderator,

I am glad you've finally decided to take a look at this. I have been complaining since last October.

One work around is to "Cut and Paste the URL into Google Chrome" but this is a pain in the but because I have had to load a Special Browser just for One thing.

My brokerage account requires IE, and everything else worked fine in IE-11 with the sole exception being the Fitbit Maps which just started last October 2017.

What you NEED TO DO is get someone in your IT Department to load a PC with Windows and IE-11 and test it.

Thank You
Mark
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Mark5551.

I absolutely understand where you are coming from. At this moment we still haven't received any news on the matter but I've been keeping my eyes open and trying to get updates. If I do I'll be sure to post about it.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

The maps were loading on the Fitbit app on iPhone 6 before 12/31/17.  Now in 2018, they aren't loafing.  I am using a Surge watch for GPS tracking.  P.S. This sounds like Apple scaling back functionality to get users to upgrade.  I am just saying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarvinMagic, @Mark5551 and @LanuzaFitbit

Just to throw out two combinations that DO work. I can test more with apple hardware when I get home, but I don't think that will be necessary.

December 5, 2017

December 7, 2017

December 14, 2017

December 20, 2017

All maps generated by my Alta HR and iPhone SE running iOS 11.0.2 and using MobileRun.

All maps still show using:

Windows 7 Professional with Internet Explorer 11 - browsing to web interface

iPhone SE within the iOS app

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @MarvinMagic. Hello @MrMarv.

@MarvinMagic How log are your runs on average? Does the map not load at all or is only a small part of it loading up?

Knowing this would help me better determine what is happening.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has there been an update on this issue yet?

I went for a very long hike yesterday and wanted to see the map. Tried my app and it just shows it trying to load with no change. Went to dashboard and map is there in the thumbnail, but when I try to click it the page says error. I have seen other posts describe these exact same issues since 2016. 

This seems like a huge oversight and I can’t believe this hasn’t been fixed. One of the big selling points to me was the ability to see my progress after a hike. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Answer

Same problem here with a cycling activity. I'm so angry, because the longest activities are normally the most important ones to the people and Fitbit seems not to be willing to fix this bug. I'm sure, for a programmer this can't be such a huge problem to fix. 
What's the reason to track an activity when I always have to be afraid that it get's to long or not properly synced because of the many other problems I already had with my Versa.... 

Best Answer

Same issue here. Stats are recorded , but map just spins and spins. Please fix this issue. 

Best Answer
Fitbit has not provided a fix as far as I know. Only workaround for me is
to make sure Google Maps app is running when I start my run. If not, same
problem continues.
Best Answer

Hi Lanuza (fitbit moderator)

Yes, the is a problem with your "Fitbit.com" server.  It first started in October of 2017 and has NEVER been fixed.

Old Runs and Rides etc. that used to show the map.  Stopped showing the map (when using IE 11)  It has NOTHING to do with how long the run or walk was.  Years worth of MAPS now no longer show up.

The only solution is to open up a "Google Chrome Browser" because it does not work using Microsoft's IE 11 Browser. 

This is an inconvenience.  Also often it requires you to log in Twice, Once in your Default Browser (IE) after Syncing.  Then login a 2nd time to view your Run or Ride.

You can go back to October, November, December of 2017 and (RE)familiarize yourself if you like.

Thank You

Mark 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Mark,

I think our problems are similar but not exactly the same. All of my old walks are there with maps, but this was the longest hike I've ever done. I can see all of my other walks, but this one will not appear for me no matter what I do. I have tried google chrome, safari, and IE, but nothing seems to open that map.

I am being told the experts are working on it, but since this issue is years deep, I won't hold my breath.

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I will be passing this information on to the rest of the team. 

As soon as we receive any news or updates on the matter we will be sure to let everyone know about and post about it in here.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Answer

I went for a run 3 days ago, the map is showing, but all the previous ones wont load anymore, I just get a spinning circle.

Best Answer

Hi Mari Aranha,

That is what I discovered last October of 2017.  All of my prior Rides and Run's were no longer available.  They (Fitbit's IT Department) did an update to the website.  (Things moved around etc.)  And they took something that worked fine and BROKE IT.

As for getting it fixed - I'd given up about 6 months ago.

You could try calling them and complaining.  The Dashboard problem (with IE) seamed to get some results by {Google - fitbit investor relations for (415) phone number} calling and leaving a message on ext. 100.

For most people, but NOT all opening a 2nd window in Google Chrome, Cut and Paste and Go the IRL from IE will work.  Must require latest version of Google Chrome because this does not work for all.

Again, it used to work just fine.  Kind of makes you wonder if they did this on purpose.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @MariAranha. Hello @Mark5551.

Thanks for sharing your experience on the matter. 

I will be sharing this with the team and hopefully I will get some updates. I'm keeping my eyes open and will let you know as soon as I get something.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit I'm sure you've told the engineering team about this issue. Thanks for doing that. But apparently this issue is not given enough priority. This is a very important feature of fitbit. Without this feature, I'm afraid many users won't buy fitbit at all. Don't just put engineering resources on new fitbits which can attract new customers. Many new customers are actually old customers. I was actually trying to recommend my friend fitbit today. But this just ended up not working. I feel ashamed. If the fame goes bad, not only old customers go away, new customers also can't be attracted. If the engineering team ignores the issue, please escalate. Don't just let fitbit become a company no one likes!

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @RainRunners

Thanks for your understanding and for sharing your feedback with us.

I definitely understand how this can be very frustrating. I will continue to try and get some updates on the matter and as soon as something comes up, I'll be sure to let everyone know about it.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit, you've been saying you'd look into the issue and provide updates on this matter for the last 9 months. Read back through the thread. You have tons of Fitbit users here that clearly love their devices but are unhappy with this bug that hasn't been fixed yet.

All my previous activity seems to work fine in IE. I climbed Mt Fuji yesterday and had 9 hours of activity that I was looking forward to reviewing. I also needed to download the TCX file. I can see the map thumbnail when I log in but when I click to view details I just get an "error" message. The thumbnail looks accurate so that tells me that the data is there but I just can't access it. I can access all my previous runs and some short test runs since my climb. The only difference with the one that wont load is the amount of data. Is there a work around to get my data? I'm not talking about for future runs. I'm talking about for the data for the once in a lifetime Mt Fuji climb that I paid thousands of dollars for. 

You telling us that they're working on the issue (for 9 months?) isn't going to cut it any longer. Either tell us how to fix it and access our data or get one of your IT people on here to provide some real insight. I've had my Surge for more than two years now and LOVE it. I was looking to upgrade to a newer platform but if this issue isn't resolved I'm going to have to find a new brand. This is a deal breaker if it can't be resolved.

Best Answer