Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

walking with hiking poles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use hiking poles when doing my beach walk to cope with deep sand and a some high climbs, however, when using these, the step count shows far less than I actually cover (accelerometer orientation perhaps?) is there any suggestion on this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I can only guess that the problem is the way the algorithm is designed to detect walk, by the way your arms swing. If you walk with your hands in you pockets, it doesn't work nearly as well.

@rdes Are you manually starting a walking exercise from your tracker? If not, you might try that. Depending on your device, you may also have the option of GPS tracking your path/distance. Also, since you're using hiking poles, the motion is probably closer to that of using an elliptical trainer. If manually starting a walk doesn't help, try manually starting an elliptical activity to see if that works better.

Post back here with your mobile device and Fitbit tracker type if you need help adding the elliptical activity to your tracker.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Wouldn't be accelerometer orientation as note in all specs it is called "3-axis accelerometer" so will detect motion in any plane.  But I don't have other explanation.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can only guess that the problem is the way the algorithm is designed to detect walk, by the way your arms swing. If you walk with your hands in you pockets, it doesn't work nearly as well.

@rdes Are you manually starting a walking exercise from your tracker? If not, you might try that. Depending on your device, you may also have the option of GPS tracking your path/distance. Also, since you're using hiking poles, the motion is probably closer to that of using an elliptical trainer. If manually starting a walk doesn't help, try manually starting an elliptical activity to see if that works better.

Post back here with your mobile device and Fitbit tracker type if you need help adding the elliptical activity to your tracker.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

Thank you. That makes sense, since the arms are bent and do not cover the same track as when they swing. Will try the manual option. I have a charge 2 and do not connect with my android, so the elliptical option may not be possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes