Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app shows blank when not connected to a network.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Bug Apple Fitbit application : since last update of the apps, it is not possible anymore to "awake" from the sleep mode unless connected to a network. If not connected the screen remains desperately blank and gives no access to any function.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Hello @zeke59, I hope you're having a great day, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

I'm not quite sure I understand what  you mean by "awake" the Fitbit app. The Fitbit app does need a Wi-Fi signal or cellular data in order to sync and show the information. However if you're seeing a blank screen I would like to ask you for a screenshot of what you're able to see in the app so I can check this further. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I'll be waiting for your reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello, thank you for your mail.

What I mean by "awake" is to stop the sleep mode "(I am awake").

Before the last update, this was available when the network and the WIFI were off, now you get a blank screen instead.

I hope this will help
Thanks, gilles

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Guillesse, I hope you're doing well, thanks for taking the time to reply. Smiley Happy

At this moment I would like to ask you to try the following in case there's a bug or glitch affecting the Fitbit app:

• Force-close the Fitbit app by double tapping the home button on your phone and swiping up the app. If this doesn't seem to work:
  • Log out from the app, restart your phone and log back in. 

If you're still experiencing this issue, please take a screenshot of the app and in case you're receiving an error message a screenshot of the message as well and reply to me with them. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The requirement of an available cellular or wifi connection for syncing is a huge problem, which I just discovered on a recent camping trip. The iOS version does indeed go blank and refuses to do anything more. A friend tested the same type of Fitbit (Alta HR) with android and he at least gets an error message. This issue makes the value of a Fitbit while backpacking, hiking, biking, boating, air travel, train travel, cruising etc. near zero. Only Bluetooth should be necessary to sync and use a Fitbit with a smartphone or other device. Please fix this asap. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Mike_N, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. 

I really appreciate feedback and I understand your concern about this situation. Even though at this moment an internet connection is always necessary for the app to work, our team is always looking to improve the Fitbit experience and and I would like to encourage you to submit your insight as a suggested idea, where members of the Community can comment and vote for it so it can be implemented in the future. This is the best way to make your voice heard and get the attention from our development team. 

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. Smiley Wink

Best Answer
This is a bug, plain and simple.

There are lots of suggestions to sync without internet, though some users seem to misunderstand that local syncing when you're off the grid precludes cloud storage. It doesn't. Data from the Fitbit is synced to the local handheld device *anyway* then up to the cloud. The lack of an internet connection shouldn't interfere with the local Bluetooth sync. The handheld device can simply queue the local data for cloud sync which can occur as soon as a connection becomes available. So you have your data in the short term and long term.

Without local sync, if you're on an extended backpacking trip, ocean voyage, or even long airline trip your Fitbit can't give you any feedback. Ditto travel in parts of the world where cellular and wifi are difficult or impossible to obtain.

This absolutely has to be fixed. I'm going to Alaska in three weeks, so try to get it done by then. 😉

From Mike's Mobile
Best Answer

Just to echo Mike's comment, YES, internet connections shouldn't be necessary for the Fitbit to sync info to my phone.  

During my normal daily life, I don't get as much exercise as I should.  During trips, however, I do, and the reason that I have a Fitbit is to see how I do during these times.  I may or may not have internet access during these trips, and even if I do, it may or may not function properly.  My most recent long trip was three weeks in China, and while I had purchased a Chinese SIM card, the connections were spotty. 

My phone app should sync and store my data until an internet connection is available to upload it.  And to be honest, I don't really CARE if it's uploaded or not, I just want my information viewable on my phone.

I HAD decided that Fitbit was probably the best product line for my use.  But this makes me rethink the entire thing.  Please get this fixed!  (trip to Paris in three weeks, I'm watching!)

OH, and when I've noticed the problem most often is when I'm at HOME, and my screen just goes blank when I try to sync my info to the app.  I guess that means that I'm not getting a good connection with my home network. 

Instead of a blank screen, a screen with something of the nature of "network connection not working, retry?" would be nice.  Something to indicate that the app is functioning and has an issue.

Best Answer
Hello "xmnuz...",

Whoever you are, thank you!

I thought I had became stupid, I noticed this issue now whatever the function I tried to launch.

This issue started just after the last update of the apps, i notice that now when it connects, it looks for kinda notification (New right button at bottom of screen replacing the button to access the profile in the previous version)..

Hence, i suspect that if no network, which as you mention happens quite often for travelers, it hangs trying to fetch this notification!

Urgent bug to be fixed since FITBIT FLEX is now USELESS...

Once again, a big thanks for you reporting the issue as well, i feel better not being alone.

Gilles

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hello,

It worked fine until the last release of the apps was installed.

Can this bug be fixed?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Thanks very much for pointing out that this problem is related to an update. I hadn't realized that since I'd only gone off the grid using the current release. 

Agree totally that this has to be fixed, or Fitbit just reduces to an extra band on your wrist.

What worries me now is that Fitbit deliberately put in this internet connection requirement as a business decision of some sort (rationale unknown), rather than simply having introduced a bug accidentally. 

If it's a bug they can simply back out the bad change and we travelers can get back on the road. 

Cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just came back from a trip to Paris.  Let me tell you how it went. 

NORMALLY, I'll change time zones ON THE PLANE, so that when I arrive, I'm set to go.  Couldn't happen.

We arrived in Paris.  My watch was off by seven hours.  Since I wanted to know how much I walked during the trip, I had to continue to WEAR the thing, but I'd have been much better off with a cheap Timex on my arm.  Everytime that I looked at my watch, it threw me, and I had to do the calculation, or else look at my phone instead. 

I had purchased a French SIM card in advance, so my phone was working fine.  But I couldn't get the Fitbit app to work.  It couldn't log onto the server, so it couldn't sync, and my time wasn't updated.  From Paris we caught the train to Le Havre to visit the Normandy beaches.  My watch was off all day.  That evening, in the hotel, I was finally able to get the watch to sync.

Coming back, we swapped planes at the Newark airport, Eastern time zone.  What time is it?  When does my plane leave?  I have NO idea.  Then back home in the Central time zone.  Calling for a hotel pickup.  Trying to convert the time zones and figure out when the shuttle would arrive.  No help from Fitbit.

When I got back to the hotel, and connected to wi-fi, I FINALLY managed to correct the watch.

I'd like you to know that I'll probably be posting some sort of this review to every review site that I can find.  I LOVE the Fitbit Blaze, it's a beautiful watch.  But it is BADLY disabled by a poor app.  If there were SOME other way of setting the time, either from the watch itself, or from a second app, just to change the time.  That would be great.

But more than that, I DON'T have any desire to sync my step count to the internet.  I have NO need of the web backup or YOU saving my information to YOUR servers.  That step count is MINE, and I would like it synced to my phone or tablet over Bluetooth.  That's the ONLY place that it needs to go, as far as I'm concerned. 

Your app stinks.  it's a very poorly thought out design that disables a VERY nice watch. 

I would NOT recommend your watch to anyone who travels.  It just doesn't work.

Best Answer

@finzleft Funny you should mention this increasingly infuriating shortcoming of this increasingly unusable product. 

Right now I'm on a ship returning to Vancouver from glacier bay. We crossed over a time zone on the way up and again last night. Threw off the sleep tracker. Said I slept maybe three hours when it was about seven.

No way to update the time unless you purchase very expensive shipboard wifi or absolutely hideous shipboard cellular ($8.00 per *megabyte*!). 

Fitbit useless on this trip. Don't care what my sleep was like days ago. Ditto steps, etc. 

It's destined for my "old watch" drawer. 

Best Answer

I agree fitbit useless on travel ...took  train ,airplane to Ireland and  in the car.  it counted a crazy number of steps every day

Best Answer
0 Votes