Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miles show not complete

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can anyone tell me why my miles are never correct?  I want 10,000 steps and 5 miles as my goal.  However miles never show completed unless I go like 8 or 9 miles.  Everything else shows as completed

fitbitdashboard

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi, @ttroskey , I can’t see the picture of your dashboard, but unless you connect the GPS on your phone to your Fitbit device/app,  Fitbit calculates how many steps per mile based on the information you enter when you set up your account (it’s based mostly on height - taller people default to longer strides).

1 mile is 5280 feet, which is 63,600 inches.  That means in order to walk one mile in 2000 steps you need to have a stride length of 31.68 inches.  That would be a little bit longer than the average stride length for a six foot tall man (the internet says the average six foot tall man has a stride length of 30 inches, meaning that he needs to take 2112 steps for every mile).  A five foot woman average stride length is 25 inches.  This means that she has to take 2534 steps in order to get one mile.

That is probably the reason why Fitbit is not calculating 10000 steps is 5 miles for you - it really isn’t for most people.

Having said that, you can alter this, if you want.  You can either follow the instructions to calculate your stride length here .  Or you can just got to your app and on the opening screen scroll down to “activity and wellness”.  On the next screen select “exercise” and then stride length.  Turn off “set automatically” and under “walking stride length” enter 31.68 inches.

That will mean that Fitbit will award 1 mile for every 2000 steps.

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes