Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red exclamation mark on my Fitbit Flex

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I go to synch with my phone it does synch and update my data, but there is a red exclamation mark on the right of the screen, it says couldn't reach fitbit.com to synch, any suggestions?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

@Myrtlewalker Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Make sure you have Bluetooth and internet connection enabled on your phone. So, is it syncing even though that exclamation mark appears? Try to log out from the app and log back in. Also, reboot your phone and turn Bluetooth off for 10 seconds and then turn it back on. It should be working fine after doing all of this.

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

I have done all that and I am still getting the red exclamation mark, when I try to sync my fitbit. What else do I do? 

Best Answer

@Boots55 Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Please do the same process once again but in this order:

• Log out from the Fitbit app.
  • Reboot your phone.
  • Log back in to the Fitbit app.
  • Check if you have Internet or Wifi connection on your phone.
  • Check if Bluetooth is activated on your phone.
  • If not syncing; try the syncing troubleshooting steps found on that post. 

Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

You need to get used to it because that is going to happen 60-70 % of the time.  You will have to log out log in; turn your phone off & then on; turn bluetooth off & then on. . . . . .  too bad you don't log any steps; stairs; minutes doing all this because it takes quite a while, especially when you figure it is at least daily.  Good luck & welcome to the world of FitBit.

Have a great day 🙂

Best Answer

I don't know if you ever fixed your problem but I wanted to leave this for anyone else who comes upon this page for help. Being around other devices with bluetooth on could be interfering. Try switching off the bluetooth setting on other near by devices or move further away from them so your fitbit is connecting to the correct phone/laptop/etc. This is how I fixed my problem. I  recently switched my phone to a new one and my old phone still had the bluetooth turned on by accident so my fitbit was trying to connect to my old phone. I hope this helps someone (: 

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @NatashaA! Thank you so much for sharing with us what helped you getting a fix for this issue. 

Hope I can continue seeing you around, you may want to check the Discussions Board and get healthy tips, sleep better or get movingRobot Happy

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Just a guess from my experience. I had to disable the Bluetooth connection to the fitbit on my desk top before I could update the fitbit on my smart phone without seeing the red circle with the exclamation point. I think the symbol was telling me that the fitbit was already connected to another device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tom-D Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I'm sure that will be helpful for other users to try as it helped you!

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

Thank you again for sharing your experience. See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Usually the red exclamation mark means that, for whatever reason, the tracker can't be synced at that time.  For me, I usually have to force sync it a couple times to get it to go away, but you could try:

1.) Restarting your Flex

2.) Turning your Bluetooth on and off

3.) Repairing the Flex with your phone

4.) Syncing via Data instead of WiFi

5.) Setting it up as a new device

6.) Logging out then back in

7.) Uninstalling and reinstalling the app

8.) Doing a complete shutdown of your phone

9.) Performing a restart on your phone

10.) Waiting until later to sync your device.  Sometimes the servers are busy, so syncing at an off-time should help.

Please make sure that when you try to sync all other Bluetooth devices that are nearby are either removed from the area or turned off, as this could interfere with the device's signal to sync.

Hope this helps! 

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

I also have the red exclamation mark and sometimes says I have to disconnect other things that are using the Fitbit  database(whatever that means as I have no other dongles or Fitbits trying to sync). I have no Bluetooth items, just my Flex and my laptop with its dongle for Fitbit. I am connected to Weight Watchers also (daughter did that for me so don't know how/what/ etc) The Flex was bought via WW. It does sync but takes a couple of goes sometimes. I have to take the dongle out then replace and try again and it works fine.  So why do I get the red exclamation mark? xx

Best Answer

Thanks. This fix worked for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that Natasha. I had an old phone still running in the same room.
Turning it off has fixed my red exclamation mark instantly.
Much appreciated.

Best Answer

This is exactly what was happening with mine.  Thank you.  After reading this I paid attention,  and that red exclamation mark came after driving with bluetooth on.  Good to know

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have an answer but I am having the same problem with FLEX, the error message I get is "Windows cannot connect to your tracker. Please try rebooting your device. Check if your tracker is already connected to another device and disconnect them."    Now my next question is how do you reboot the FLEX?

I read your message about the red exclamation mark and did a reboot.  The reboot worked and now I'm recharging the FitBit and have NO red exclamation mark....there is a video on YouTube showing the reboot technique.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9dX43gRKIo

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!!! That was my problem!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit Charge HR won't sync with my phone or computer. It does have the red exclamation mark. I've done everything the instructions say to do. Nothing works.

I just tried what one of you said about turning my phone completely off and back on and it worked!!! I had just been restarting it. But shutting it completely down is what did the trick! Thank you!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • thank you, I have a Fitbit app on my phone and tablet. Turned my tablet off, and it synced instantly 
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm getting the same issues regularly with my Sense (like 4 times a week).

Usually it gets resolved by rebooting either the Sense, or the phone.

When it is not enough you can try switching off all nearby Bluetooth devices as well. As I live in a city, I get neighbors devices as well, so I have to make sure they also shut their devices. They didn't believe me at first ^_^, so I had to explain that I was having a Fitbit device and it was an issue they were having since 2016. They told me they'll make sure to avoid buying those 😄 Good laugh between neighbors! Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! This finally solved my connection issue! 

Best Answer
0 Votes