Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The pull-up bar rules!

One of my favorite piece of equipment in my home gym is the pull-up bar (looks like I'm not the only one😞

pull-up_bar.jpg

It was inexpensive, doesn't take any real-estate (hangs from the ceiling) and I can use it whenever I please, to lift myself up, stretch, do leg raises etc.

However, my own weight has started to become too light for strength training (5 x5) so I've complemented it with this item:

belt.png

This allows me to do weighted pull-ups & chin-ups. I'm starting light, with 5 + 1.25 = 6.25 kg, but I will be able to increase the weights to keep progressing. I did try it with a 20 kg plate for 1 rep.

The belt also works fine for dips.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

That is cool.  I have the type that sticks in the door frame like this:

Iron Gym Pullup Bar

I always worry that it's going to pull the moulding off from around the door frame.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I marvel at you both since the only way I can get my chin above the bar is to do it on the machine at the gym. And I am not weak- just a loser 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heh - never said I could DO a pullup, just that I have a pullup bar and make attempts a few times a week.  I still can't even come close to doing one.

FitBit One
Best Answer

@emili wrote:

I marvel at you both since the only way I can get my chin above the bar is to do it on the machine at the gym. And I am not weak- just a loser 🙂

@emili: it’s a lot harder for women, who have less strength in their upper body (in comparison to men). My 18-year-old niece, who is in decent shape, couldn’t do one either. To a large extent, being able to lift your own body boils down to the ratio of muscle mass to fat: muscle is what lifts you, fat is dead weight. I could hardly do one rep when I started (1.5 years ago), but it’s clearly something you can train. Start hanging from the bar, increasing the time you’re holding it: this will strengthen your grip (if you can’t hold the bar for more than 5-10 seconds, you’ll have a hard time performing one pull-up); beside, a stronger grip is useful in everyday life, especially as you get older. What you can do also to get started is assisted pull-ups/chin-ups with a rubber band, as shown in this video

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

Looks awesome. I would also relly need to work at it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Raviv: I've had two mishaps with door-frame style.  One severely bent a metal door frame at the top, causing the door not to close.  Had to plane the top of the door down.  The second, the bar slipped off the frame and I banged my knees something awful.  I'll never use that kind again.  Be careful! Or always use the best form possible.

I have a stud pull up bar in my garage.  I love it.  I also hang my heavy bag from it. Works great.

http://www.studbarpullup.com/

Pull up bar.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ryboflavin wrote:

@Raviv: I've had two mishaps with door-frame style.  One severely bent a metal door frame at the top, causing the door not to close.  Had to plane the top of the door down.  The second, the bar slipped off the frame and I banged my knees something awful.  I'll never use that kind again.  Be careful! Or always use the best form possible.

Thanks for the warning!  We're renting, so no construction at the moment.  I guess it's a good thing that I can't pull myself up very far and have lots of tools!

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili @Dominique @Raviv One great way to work your way up to being able to do a pull up is to do a slow negative pull-up. Instead of pulling your body up to the bar, have a foot stool or some kind of platform that gets you up to the bar and slowly lower yourself until you are in the beginning position of a pull-up and repeat.

Works all the same muscles as a pull-up. It's also a great tool to have after you've done pull-ups to failure and want to keep going. Robot Happy

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Nice set up, @Dominique.  I've also got a door frame version, but I'm trying to scout out a place in the house where I can mount one where it won't bug my wife too much.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

O

However, my own weight has started to become too light for strength training (5 x5) so I've complemented it with this item:

belt.png

This allows me to do weighted pull-ups & chin-ups. I'm starting light, with 5 + 1.25 = 6.25 kg, but I will be able to increase the weights to keep progressing. I did try it with a 20 kg plate for 1 rep.

This is me with 16 kg hanging between my legs Smiley LOL

16kg.jpg

Now doing chinups for 5 sets of 3 reps with that extra weight (current body weight 64 kg + 16 = 80 kg)

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is awesome @Dominique congratulations! 16 kg between your legs Smiley LOL not everyone can! 
Personally I love Pull-up bar because it's a pretty complete tool to build muscle. You can work your abs, arms, back, and for even your chest ( if you do some calisthenics). 

Keep up the good work! 

Best Answer
0 Votes