Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Copenhagenize Index

The 2017 Copenhagenize Index of the world's most bike-friendly cities is out, and not a single American metropolis made the top 20. Again!

http://copenhagenize.eu/index/

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Doesn't surprise me.  Most U.S. cities above 100,000 population do not consider bicycles as a "feasible, accepted and practical form of transport", which is required for consideration in this list. Instead, the bicycle is considered as recreational or sport.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is so frustrating to me. I live close enough to bike to work, but there's no way to get to work that's bike-safe the entire way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's part of the problem. Americans flawed perceptions. We have to WANT to make it happen or it won't happen. And even if more Americans wanted to cycle to work, the infrastructure isn't there for us. Even though we have some of the widest lanes in the world, unless we can get our cities' leaders to change their mentality, we'll never be able to do it. If Copenhagen could do it, we definitely can.

In a 2013 post on the Copenhagenize blog, this was said:

>>I tire of hearing the incessant "we don't have space for bicycles" whine, especially in North American cities. The space is right there if you want it to be there. Removing car lanes to create cycle tracks is, of course, doable. So many cities are doing it. Not making cycle tracks for those who cycle now, but for the many who COULD be cycling if it was made safe.<<

SOURCE: http://www.copenhagenize.com/2013/03/the-arrogance-of-space.html

That whole article is worth a read.

@USAF-Larry wrote:

Doesn't surprise me.  Most U.S. cities above 100,000 population do not consider bicycles as a "feasible, accepted and practical form of transport", which is required for consideration in this list. Instead, the bicycle is considered as recreational or sport.

I use:

FitBit Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my small city (10,000) they started painting signs on the road indicating the road is for cyclists too, but good luck with that. We need actual bike LANES.

And it's not just about a good way to get to work, it's just a good way to get around.

@LilLash wrote:

This is so frustrating to me. I live close enough to bike to work, but there's no way to get to work that's bike-safe the entire way. 

I use:

FitBit Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes