Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4500 Calories burnt a day.

I walk around 17xxx steps a day and fitbit shows me I burn around 45xx calories a day.. Is this even accurate?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Fitbit and fitness trackers in general can over-estimate calories burned.  But it all depends on your height, weight, age, and sex.  Also depends on if you're doing a lot of strenuous activity that has your heart rate up during the day.  It's hard to say if it's correct without more information.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

My BMR is 1950. I am 84 KGs and 183 CM

I checked online that 16000 steps a day is about a thousand calories

I still do not see how I burn around 4500 calories a day. 3000 would be alright but 4500 is an exaggeration. 

Best Answer

Which tracker are you using?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Charge three

Best Answer
0 Votes

Make sure your stats are up to date and accurate (H/W, etc.), then give it the old reboot if you need to and see if that fixes it.

Best Answer

What do you do the rest of the day. If you wear the devise 24/7 it's tracking calorie burn even while you are sleeping. If you are highly active all day it could possibly be correct.

Best Answer

In addition to what @Mukluk4 suggested, look at your activity log and make sure any really long activity records.  If you do, delete them.  Strange things can happen, particularly if you have linked other apps to fitbit. 

I once went for a 3 mile hike and started tracking it as a GPS activity in Strava.  Forgot to turn off the tracking when I got back to the car.  A few days later I noticed my fitbit account had 9000 calories burned that day and about 6000 on the next day.  Turned out that I never stopped the activity in Strava and it finally turned off by itself after about 18 hours over two days.  The recorded distance was about 60 miles which blew up my calorie count in fitbit when the activity synced over.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@Davidrip wrote:

What do you do the rest of the day. If you wear the devise 24/7 it's tracking calorie burn even while you are sleeping. If you are highly active all day it could possibly be correct.

At his size, unless he's a pro athlete in full training mode it's not going to happen.  I've had a day playing 3 hours of full court basketball and another 45 minutes in the weight room and was able to break the 5k barrier.  But I'm also 280 lbs.  

Best Answer

@Towaiji.. hey there. did any of the replies help? have you checked to make sure your stats are accurate, that your tracker is not recording or giving you credit for activity that didn't happen? your tracker tracks your HR all day, are you seeing that it is giving you super hi HR which will create a higher calorie burn? How else can we help you?

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sure it could be accurate.Steps aren't everything.If you have a strenuous job or work continuously and your heart rate stays up you could do 4500 calories. I hit 3500 occasionally and i don't have a job even.

Best Answer