Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48 State Virtual Hike

Congratulations! You are starting on a virtual hike of the lower 48 states. This is a difficult challenge, and with any difficult challenge, it helps to break it into small pieces. The hike is divided into 14 parts. Each part has 10 segments except for the last one which has 8 segments. Each segment has 8 legs. With few exceptions, the legs are 10 miles or less.

Thaller, Gary. 48 State Virtual Hike: The Ultimate 10,000 Step Challenge (Kindle Locations 115-117). Shanti Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Here an overview of the route.

route overview.JPG

It starts in Pueblo, Colorado and goes clockwise. Part one highlighted in yellow goes to southeastern Utah and is 478.4 miles. Each circle is one of the eight legs.

Click on the link for the legs to get an animated street view.

Segment 1:  0 to 63.2 miles   
Length of Segment:  63.2 miles   
Total miles:  63.2   
Segment Map   
Click leg for street view  Completed
leg 1:  0 to 9.3 milesRADFCST10/25/2016
leg 2:  9.3 to 17.8 milesRADFCST 10/26/16
leg 3:  17.8 to 24.1 milesRADFCST 10/26/16
leg 4:  24.1 to 34 milesRADFCST

10/27/16 

leg 5: 34 to 35.8 milesRADFCST 10/27/16
leg 6: 35.8 to 45.8 milesRADFCST 
leg 7: 45.8 to 54.8 milesRADFCST 
leg 8: 54.8 to 63.2 milesRADFCST 

Best Answer
160 REPLIES 160

Hi, how to I join this group?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just started an activity group.

If you want to stay with or behind me, cut and paste my posts onto a post of yours, and you can enter the dates as you compete them.

Best Answer

I joined the group.

Charge 2; Aria; Developer of www.wellnessbear.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 3

Date: 10/27/16

Total Miles Goal: 36

Today's Miles: 13.43

Total Miles: 43.32

Topic: Too much info

It’s only the third day, and I’m already behind. Not on the walking/running, but on my trail log. No problem. I’ll catch up on the first two days, and the reader won’t know the difference. That is, until they get to this entry.

I posted the information for the hike on the Fitbit Forums, and only two people are interested. Can I blame them? How many people are going to sign up for a virtual hike touching the 48 contiguous states? The answer so far is two. Actually, it’s not a bad start for the first day.

Two times before, I started this trek. Two times before, I failed. The first time, I stopped in the Florida panhandle after 900 miles. The second time, I stopped in northern Ohio after 4,652 miles. The first time, I was distracted by writing eBooks for Amazon. That worked out well, and the royalties along with my Air Force Retirement and my Social Security allowed me to retire last year.

The second time, well…I don’t recall why I stopped. Well, I do and it sounds crazy. I stopped because I didn’t want to finish. There was no goal after. Cheap excuse…but it’s the only one I have.

I have a couple new personal goals, which I’ll keep private for now. Meanwhile, each day, I’ll fight the 12-mile battle. No fancy goal setting. No looking ahead.

20161027_111329[1].jpg

Best Answer

Cool.  Good idea, Gershon.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Start

Except for southeastern Utah, the 48 state virtual hike can be "real hiked." I do have the data for an adjusted route if anyone wants to "real hike" it. Using the animated street view, I've looked at every bit of the route and it's all doable.

The start is in Pueblo, Colorado at the intersection of I-25 and Hwy 50 west. This afternoon, I walked to the start, which is about a mile and a half from my home. The route stretches west behind me.

20161027_143322[1].jpg

cart

Long distance road walkers generally use a cart. I have a Shwinn bicycle trailer/baby cart.

1.1 figure.png

Walking while pushing the cart is easier than walking without one for some reason. Here, I’m using a very slow “old man’s” run. I’ve found this is easier on my body than walking. I’m going about 4.1 mph here.

Best Answer

Day 4

Date: 10/28/16

Total Miles Goal: 48

Actual Miles Traveled: 11.01

Total Miles: 54.33

Animated street views for legs completed today:

leg 6: 35.8 to 45.8 miles

fig 1.3.jpg

My morning often starts around 3 am with a trip to Planet Fitness. Resistance training is especially important as we age to maintain strength and flexibility. I work out for about 75 minutes and then I either do some time on the treadmill or outside.

While working out, I listen to audio books I record from my Kindle Fire.

fig 1.4.jpg

Usually, I don’t have breakfast until after working out and running/walking. By then, I’ve burned about 1,800 calories. Often, I start with oatmeal and a banana, and then I eat almost non-stop for the rest of the day.

fig 1.5.jpg

My son and I walked about a mile and a half near the Fountain Creek.

Journaling

The most important aspect of journaling to me is the pictures along with a short note about them. In later posts, I’ll add my ruminations for the day. I try to keep the length of each entry under 250 words. Otherwise, it ends up taking too much time away from other things. It helps to use the same format each day.

Best Answer
I feel motivated to step more after reading your post. I like the street view link that you posted. Thank you for sharing. Enough thinking and talking for me it is time to walk.
Best Answer

Day 5

Date: 10/29/16

Total Miles Goal: 60

Miles Today: 12.6

Total Miles: 66.93

Audio book completed: Lipton, Bruce H. The Biology of Belief 10th Anniversary Edition: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter & Miracles

leg 7: 45.8 to 54.8 miles

leg 8: 54.8 to 63.2 miles

This made my day!

I feel motivated to step more after reading your post. I like the street view link that you posted. Thank you for sharing. Enough thinking and talking for me it is time to walk.

@FugiNguyen34

There is a saying something like If you want to walk fast, walk alone. If you want to walk far, walk with someone.

There are now four of us in the 48 State Hike group. In time, we will be scattered all over the United States. Those that want to can share their experiences in this thread. Even though we will be far apart, we won’t be alone. Together, we can all walk farther than we could by ourselves.

fig 1.6.jpg

I like to dress warmly as I noticed I can walk and run faster if I work up just a bit of sweat. The reason for this is the fluid in the muscle cells thins out when they are warmed up. There are little thingies (not the scientific term) inside the cells that cannot swim in thick fluid. It’s best to warm up for 10 or 15 minutes before starting to move quickly. On cold days, it can take me about 40 minutes to get completely warmed up.

fig 1.7.jpg

Good night for kicking leaves in the gutter.

Small Goals

It took me about five years to plan this route. Finding the shortest route is simple, but time consuming, with Streets and Trips. Finding a route that could be walked was much harder. Finding one with sufficient services took many hours. Now, we can enjoy the fruits of my labor one leg at a time.

Each segment is a relatively short virtual hike. There are eight legs in each segment that can also be treated as tiny virtual hikes. Every hiker needs a motto. I think I’ll use Getting there one leg at a time as the motto for this one. As long as I focus on walking/running 12 miles a day, I’ll get there.

fig 1.9.jpg

First Lunch – steamed wild rice and southwestern mix

Best Answer
0 Votes

Completed Segment 1 – Segment 2 Data

Completed Segment 1:  0 to 63.2 miles of the 48 State Virtual Hike.

fig 2.1.JPG

Congratulations! During this segment, you added Colorado to the states you visited.

Segment 2:  63.2 to 135.2 miles

Length of Segment:  72 miles

Total miles:  135.2

Segment Map

Click leg for street view

leg 1:  63.2 to 71.4 miles

FCST

leg 2: 71.4 to 80.6 miles

FCST

leg 3: 80.6 to 87.3 miles

FCST

leg 4: 87.3 to 95.9 miles

FCST

leg 5: 95.9 to 104.2 miles

FCST

leg 6: 104.2 to 114.4 miles

FCST

leg 7: 114.4 to 124.2 miles

FCST

leg 8: 124.2 to 135.2 miles

FCST

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 6

Date: 10/30/16

Total Miles Goal: 72

Miles Today: 13.24

Total Miles: 80.17

Average Daily Miles:13.36

leg 1:  63.2 to 71.4 miles

FCST

fig 1.10.jpg

I love finishing a walk/run as the sun rises. It’s like a new day and any fatigue from what came before fades immediately. At this point, I’d already completed 7.97 miles. I had the rest of the day to only walk/run four more miles.

Pace yourself

In fact, it was during that first twenty-four-hour race in Buffalo, New York, the one where I wound up winning by running 122 miles in the allotted time, when I’d realized I had a talent for ultra-distances. I owe this, in part, to the advice of a gentleman I met during the race, who suggested that I slow my pace and take my time for the first fourteen to eighteen hours and then, he said, “Look around and you might be surprised to find that you’re in the lead.” 

Ulrich, Marshall. Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America (Kindle Locations 2104-2107). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

This is a loooooong virtual walk. The person who keeps a consistent pace for the first 100 days will likely far outdistance most others. I have to frequently remind myself that my daily goal of 12 miles is not only a target, but a bit below my upper limit of about 13 miles. Today is a perfect example. I’m full of energy, but I’m not going to go many extra miles. (At least that’s what I’m telling myself at 11:00.)

I prefer to walk/run the same distance every day. Eventually, natural cycles will form, and I’ll pay attention to trailing week averages and the overall daily average.

fig 2.2.jpg

Another walk with my son near the Fountain Creek.

fig 2.4.jpg

Second Breakfast – Whole Wheat Pancake

63 grams King Arthur’s whole wheat flour

¾ tsp baking powder

50 grams applesauce (the sugar in the applesauce helps the pancake to brown)

85 grams water

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 7

Audio book completed: Ulrich, Marshall. Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America. Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Date: 10/31/16

Run/walk

Weight Lifting

Total Miles Goal: 84

7 of 7 days

Miles today: 12.36

Total Miles: 92.53

Average Daily Miles: 13.22

leg 2: 71.4 to 80.6 miles

FCST

leg 3: 80.6 to 87.3 miles

FCST

fig 2.5.jpg

This rock is at the University. I have no idea what it means. Some student thing, I guess.

Routines

Some people thrive with routines; others hate them. I consider routines my friend because they help me achieve my important goals without too much thinking. Oh, it does take some thinking to develop a routine, but once it’s established, all I must do is follow it and make occasional improvements. A break in my routine indicates I’ll have to make an extra effort during the day to reach my goal or modify my goal.

My day starts with a shower about 2:40 am, and I arrive at Planet Fitness about 3:10. I spend about 10 minutes talking to a couple people and then get to work. Twenty minutes of easy walking on the treadmill to warm up. Then ten or twelve weight lifting exercises my trainer helped me plan. I do three reps of each exercise. I log my lifting activity in a log book I can show my trainer each week.

Then I come home and walk/run until 7:00 am. When I’m done, I have eight or nine miles done.

When I’m done with running/walking I make oatmeal and a banana for breakfast. While the oatmeal is cooking, I start the daily log.

fig 2.6.jpg

I often look for reflection pictures.

Seven Day Progress

Hard to believe seven days have already passed.

fig 2.7.JPG 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 8

Date: 11/1/16

Run/walk

Weight Lifting

Total Miles Goal: 96

8 of 8 days

Miles today: 12.64

Constraint

Total Miles: 105.17

Tired calves

Average Daily Miles: 13.15

I added a Constraint/pain/minor injury cell in the table. I’m tracking these to avoid overtraining and injuries. There will likely be a constraint each day

Constraints are something that would prevent me from going too many more miles in the day. They do not include something I suspect could turn into an injury.

Pains will be something that could turn into an injury, and I will consider reducing the next day’s mileage.

Minor Injuries may result in a skipped day or two to rest them.

leg 4: 87.3 to 95.9 miles

FCST

leg 5: 95.9 to 104.2 miles

FCST

Getting miles early

fig 2.9.jpg

The early morning is my favorite time to walk and run. Guess I’ll have to bring my camera. The cell phone doesn’t work well at night.

fig 2.7.JPG

I’ve been working on getting the miles earlier in the day in case something comes up. It also gives me more recovery time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you track where you are at in the virtual map/segment/leg?  What tool do you use?  Appreciate any suggestion.

On this segment, the walk path is along the Arkansas river.   It looks like a good route to hike.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FujiNguyen

The process was quite complicated, but you don't have to worry about it. I show a leg completed when I have finished all the miles. I will likely have stopped some miles past the end of the last leg.

If you want all the data at once, you could buy 48 State Virtual Hike on Amazon. It will with Kindle for PC or on a Kindle Fire. I'm not sure if it will work on smart phones.

Hope this answers the question you asked. I'm not certain I understood it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do I keep a log of the walking distance each day and compute the running total and check off against the segment/leg that you have posted?  

For example the total distance of segment 1 is 80 miles.  Segment 1 has 8 legs and each leg is 10 miles.   Suppose one walks between 5 and 7 miles a day.  One will need to log the distance each day (ex. in Excel) and compute the running total to find out how far along in the virtual hike?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FujiNguyen wrote:

Do I keep a log of the walking distance each day and compute the running total and check off against the segment/leg that you have posted?  

For example the total distance of segment 1 is 80 miles.  Segment 1 has 8 legs and each leg is 10 miles.   Suppose one walks between 5 and 7 miles a day.  One will need to log the distance each day (ex. in Excel) and compute the running total to find out how far along in the virtual hike?

Yes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 9

Date11/2/16

Run/walk

Weight Lifting

Total Miles Goal: 108

9 of 9 days

Miles today: 11.33

Constraint

Total Miles: 116.5

Twinge in left hamstring

Average Daily Miles: 12.94

leg 6: 104.2 to 114.4 miles

FCST

Nike Running App

Yesterday, I added the Nike Running app to my phone again. I like it because it can give voice summaries at chosen intervals. I use every quarter mile. There is also a timed run, which lets me know how much longer I will walk or jog without looking at my watch.

The GPS doesn’t seem to be as accurate as the Fitbit Surge, but it’s good enough for what I’m doing. I log the miles calculated on the Surge.

It’s worth a try for those who like voice feedback.

I’ve also started using the metronome again so my pace is consistent. I use 116 beats per minute for walking and 141 for running.

Audio Books

I started a one year review of the Torah with commentary by Rashi. I’ve also started listening the Tanya. Finally, I’m listening to the Kedushat Levi.

In addition to these, I’m listening to another book each day depending on my interests at the time. Right now, I’m listening to a book about an ultra-marathoner.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good news! There are 7 members in the group. It is a lucky number(: It would be interesting if the group has members from 48 states to upload pictures near the trail.

Questions: How many days would it take to complete the virtual hike for someone who can average 10k steps a day? If someone joins the challenge today, where is the starting point?
Best Answer
0 Votes