Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

55 yo woman trying to start jogging

Looking for help, ideas on how to successfully start a jogging routine.  I'm currently a walker, tonight added some short spells of jogging.  I'm sure it's not pretty, lol  Is there any advice or words of wisdom on how to make this a regular routine and increasing the amount of jogs?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hello @tlong67156, nice to see you here again. 

If you want to start jogging, you should try first "Power Walking" or "Speed Walking". This will increase your HR during a walk, which will prepare you for jogging. 

To qualify as power walking as opposed to jogging or running, at least one foot must be in contact with the ground at all times. This is actually challenging. Try it and let me know how it goes. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

If you do try to do faster walking, work on your technique for that. It is hard to get to a 12-minute mile or below without a pretty good racewalking technique. I would also add some quick step drills and some speed intervals on your walks. This will start to develop some of the rapid-fire muscles, also called quick twitch muscles, that will help improve your speed. If you decide to go this route, reach out again. I am a former semi-elite racewalker and was a national junior women's team coach. I am trying to get back to my old form after being disabled from nerve damage in my right leg for the past 4 years. Building up my base again here! Good luck!!

Sara

Best Answer

HI there -- I"m 56 and just starting too.  I actually signed up for a sprint triathlon in May 2020 -- it'll have a 3-mile run included.  I'm looking for "friends" to join a group so we can motivate each other, in case you're interested!  I have signed up for Fitbit Coach and it does have a training routine for beginning runners.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK.  I did not do anything fancy.  And maybe this only works for me, but...

What worked was to simply concentrate on my breathing.  It sounds goofy, but I thought of a WALTZ-- 1-2-3. 1-2-3.   Breathe IN deeply 1-2-3 (but a little slower than a waltz beat), Breathe OUT 1-2-3.  When I did that really simple thing, I went immediately from running only one block to running 1 mile without stopping. It was that fast.  Within a couple weeks, I was running 3-4 miles.  I still run 3-4 miles.  If I did fancy things like training, I'd probably be running greater distances, but I'm happy with the 3-4 miles.  (My record is 6 miles.)   I love it.  Running is the only thing that gives me any kind of adrenaline boost. 

BTW, I'm of similar age and chunky to boot.  🙂   I bet that few people would look at me and think that I can run a 10 ish minute mile.  

The breathing increased my stamina/lung power (I'm not a physiologist or a fitness buff, so I don't have the words to describe it).  I also need/needed MUSIC to keep me going.  I try to get wrapped up in the rhythm of the music and concentrate on the music and the breathing.  

Best Answer

Hello all! Thank you very much for your suggestions. 

I am sure these will help other users start jogging. Keep it up!

@lorimhunter, way to go. Impressive! I recommend you set up a training plan to prepare for this triathlon. Take the suggestions above into account. I have this group of users which are involved in a challenge, you may want to join for next week´s challenge. Here you have the link: looking for competitive workweek hustlers - click here

Have a nice day. 

Best Answer

Hey @tlong67156 - I like your 'short spells of jogging' idea.  I mostly walk and hike, 30-60 minutes at at time, but do similar to you when I want to speed it up.  Usually look for markers like powerline poles or block intersections.  Walk two power line poles then jog/run one, the maybe switch to run/jog two poles then walk one.  Helps to think in shorter chunks.  Setting a timer on your fitbit for a minute or two and then jogging for the time period, then walking for the next cycle, then do it over again for four or five cycles.  Over time add more run cycles and fewer walk cycles.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I´m on the same boat,(46 yrs old) have been walking every day, and now I just started last week to do some kind of jogging in between my walking, done it 3 times now. I picked a short route, only 1.60 km, and what I am doing is going this way when I try to "jog" - and just these 3 times I´ve been on it, I can see and feel the difference, both in how long I can jog every time, and the pace I´m doing it.  First time I did it in 18 minutes, next one was 16 minutes and this morning it was 15 minutes - so I can see my progress 🙂

I try to start jogging always on the same place, I picked a tree that I start jogging from, and have few of these places I can use as a starting or ending point.  I just listen to my body, if can not jog as much as I did last time, I will just walk it.

I´m just hoping that I will stick to this - since I find it so much fun to see my progress 🙂

I can do it and so can you !!

Best Answer

Hey @Kazi66, it´s great to read that you can see the progress. Thanks for sharing. Yes definitely, listen to your body. Great advice. 

@Baltoscott, thinking in small chunks does help in many aspects. It helps you get through a long run. 

@tlong67156, do tell us how you are implementing jogging in your daily routine. My advice would be a morning jog. Morning exercise helps activate your brain for the rest of the day. Set a distance, just like @Kazi66 said. You can run the same distance a few times a week. You will gradually see some progress. 

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Answer

Hi, @tlong67156 , there is an excellent program called “Couch to 5k” to get runners of all ages started.  Since you already walk you will find the first steps easy, but in my experience it is good to work through the whole program even so.  In the first week you will mostly walk, but add in bursts of 30 seconds of running.

There are lots of apps that will take you through the program if you like to run with your phone, or you can download the program.

I found my Fitbit really helpful with the interval program to give me the signal to switch from walking to running.  It does mean you will have to modify the routine just a little bit as the weeks pass, because, unfortunately with the Fitbit interval program you cannot vary the intervals.  (e.g. if you set it 5 minutes walk, 2 minutes run, you have to stick with that for all the reps - but even so I found it helped with building fitness)

Good luck!  Please post an update and let us know how you are doing and if any of the tips you have had here are helping you.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Hallo @Julia_G, thanks for posting. 

Great advice. I am sure @tlong67156 will appreciate your input. This will also help other users in the same situation. 

Thank you all for keeping the forums alive. If anyone else has tried any of the suggestions above, please post an update. Feedback is always welcome. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm new to jogging as well and following my father's method of 'run to that post'. I spot a tree or other landmark and try to make it to that, and if going the same way another day I will try to go past that marker. As long as I'm still moving, I don't care how slow I am - hopefully this will pick up in time though!

Best Answer