Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What keeps you motivated?

No matter our goal, we're all here to get healthier. Whether you're trying to lose weight, lower your heart rate, sleep or eat better - or any other health goal - the odds are that you'll have days where motivation is a challenge.

What's your health goal and how do you stay motivated? Share your top tips or hacks with other community members here.

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

My health goal is to lower my resting heart rate by around 3 bpm.

I've recently (finally!) upped my step goal to 10,500 which has really motivated me because I know it's a little more challenging that the default goal before, so I'll put in the extra effort to reach it every day. See what tips the in-app Community shared about reaching their step goal!

Challenges keep me motivated as well, I'm normally much more active during those.

Finally, having friends that are also into activity or walking helps so I'll naturally fit more activity into my life, like a walk in the park with a friend rather than sitting in a cafe.

Best Answer

The ability to walk in timed ultramarathons keeps me motivated. It may sound weird, but it is one of the few things I can still do.

Many years ago, I had to give up competitive running (5k, 10k, etc.) because of back and heart concerns. And now because of arthritis in both thumbs, I've had to stop participating in many other sports I've loved including basketball, volleyball, bowling and golf.

The one thing that I can still do without pain is walk, and the ability to do that and have something to train for keeps me motivated. It took a while to build up my stamina, but over the last few years I've competed in four 24-hour races and have a 61-hour race coming up in less than two weeks.

Even though I have zero chance of ever winning one of these races, the chance to compete with great athletes from all across the United States and Canada keeps me going. And my Fitbit reports hold me accountable to my training.

I'm 61 years young and have only just begun. Instead of being bitter about things I can no longer do, I rejoice in the fact that I can walk all day.

Best Answer

Hi @Ronlaub, that's a great mindset, and cheers on your walks!

I feel motivated when I finally get time to go to the gym. Between work, college and volunteer work, sometimes it's almost impossible to have time to workout. But, when I can do it, it's really encouraging to see lots of steps reached and feeling less stressed. I hope someday I can compete in a 10k with my dad (he loves running Smiley LOL)!

Best Answer

I am very competitive and participating in challenges always keeps me motivated. Specially in team challenges! Robot wink

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@LizFitbit  I've been trying to lower my own heart rate. It seems when I'm not feeling well that my heart rate seems to know it before I realize it.

@Ronlaub  love your attitude! I'll admit, I had to look up 24 hour race as I've never heard of it before. The 61 hour race, is there no break time? Now you're going to have a bunch of us wanting updates on these events!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

@Odyssey13 You can take breaks any time you want in these events, but the clock continues to run. The one I'm doing next weekend is A Race For The Ages in Tennessee. The number of hours you get to race are equal to your age (a minimum of 40), so I'll get 61. And yes, I'll be taking several breaks including some for sleep. 

These races can be very creative. I have a good friend who did a 10-day race this year (240 hours). 

The 24-hour races are the most popular and feature people of all ages and fitness levels. I raced last year with a 94-year old WWII vet who did 23.5 miles. I've also seen many that do over 100 miles in 24 hours, which will never happen for me. 

Best Answer

This is going to sound weird, but it's been a dream of mine to get into Community Theater since I was a little girl.  I love being onstage, and I can sing and act, but dance is my weakest.  After a failed audition for "Seussical The Musical" I decided to take a hard look as to why I didn't get in.  I knew dance was my weakest, so I decided that I would look into dance lessons.  But this was the time of the recession, so jobs were hard to come by for those of us just out of college.  In the meantime, I decided I would brush up on my skills that I learned as a little girl.  It's something I still do to this day, and yes, I am still waiting to make that theater dream come true.

Last year, I was finally able to get back into a studio, and when I was looking at what might be helpful, I decided that Ballroom Dance would be the best choice.  Although it seems like an odd pairing, a lot of the skills learned in Ballroom can be extrapolated and used in Musical Theater auditions.  Ballroom is all about musicality, foot placement, posture, and telling a story.  Sound familiar?  These skills are also used in Musical Theater.  I had also thought about taking Tap again, my third love after Ballroom and Musical Theater, but then I realized that I could only use Tap during auditions because it's so specialized.  With Ballroom having so many sub-styles, I can use it in a lot more situations even when I'm not onstage: cruise ships, clubs, weddings, etc.

Oh and I was able to dance and perform in front of people again...but this time on a local TV station this year on New Year's Eve for a week!

Now I am considering keeping up with my Ballroom dance, but adding Musical Theater, as there is a new studio in town that teaches Musical Theater geared specifically to adults!

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

So here's my take on motivation. it comes and goes because it's an emotion like happiness,  anger, etc. I don't rely on motivation to keep myself moving and eating right. I made it my lifestyle so there's no other choice.  That works for me. My current goal is to get back to running.  I stopped for a few months to rest the limbs and I'm slowly getting back into it.  I just have to remind myself to keep it simple and not overdo..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@Ronlaub  I had never heard of 24 hour races either. What a great idea! Hmmmm I wonder if they have any around here?

My goal is 10,000 and most days I reach it, but if I dont I no longer neat myself up about it. I allow a few off days a month, and that works better for me by removing the pressure so I have nothing to rebel against (I can be a bit contrary!). I now have the main goal of 10,000 steps 25 days a month, and then higher numbers of steps on less days (up to 2 days over 20,000) and this seems to work for me.

I am not especially competative so single challenges dont do much for my motiviation, but team ones do as I hate to let the team down!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I am driven by numbers and goals that are tangible.  I have two numbers-based motivators that keep me going every day.  

1) Walk/run/move 2,019 miles in 2019.  This requires me to walk or run a certain number of miles each day to ultimately reach 2,019 miles for the year 2019.  I don't want to fail, I want to reach this milestone by the end of the year and it's challenging enough to keep me interested, but not hard enough that I would fail miserably.

2) I've been on a 10,000 steps per day streak, currently sitting at 214 days.  There have been A LOT of days where I didn't want to do 10,000 steps.  There have been several days where I've been on the treadmill at 9:30pm or 10pm before bed getting in my steps so I don't fail my streak.  Days where I've been walking in very hot or cold weather to maintain the streak.  This streak has kept me going more than anything, really. 

I know for some people, streaking goals or mileage goals aren't particularly useful to overall health, but these goals keep me going on days where I would normally throw in the towel and call 7,000 steps good enough.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Best Answer

Be healthy has always been very important for me.

I try to teach my daughter by giving the example, we like to eat green groceries, drink water instead of soda or sugar drinks, Ice cream sometimes, yes! Cat LOL She has been in swimming classes, dance or other sports. 

I like the long walks too but since I live in the city now it's not the same. Now, I try to find the time to go to the gym or do some exercise at home at least two times per week, having a Fitbit it's a great motivator as I like to challenge myself.  

In general I have good health and staying in good health definitely motivates me. 

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer

For some reason keeping my heart rate low keeps me very motivated.  At 50, and after a two month layoff ending in April, it's been fun and motivational to see how my heart rate as steadily decreased since then.  It went up to about 74 and right now is below what I thought possible at 54.  I'm curious to see if it can go lower before winter hits.  I hit hard core mountain bike trails 2 or 3 times a week for a high intensity work out.  Easy on the body but super fun and awesome workout.

I love seeing how people on this forum in their 50's and 60's stay in great shape. It's motivating in itself...keep it up.  

Best Answer

My goal is rather sad.  I want to walk 250 steps every hour that I am awake.

My wife bought my fitbit a week ago.  I had landed in ICU after throwing a few pulmonary embolisms so when I released from the hospital, she bought the fitbit to keep track of my heart rate.  It was her way of babysitting me.

I was pretty bummed because I went from exercising regularly to barely being able to walk to the bathroom without getting short of breath.  I found the hourly activity feature on the fitbit and started setting small goals...50 steps, 100 steps, 200 steps, 250 steps every hour I'm awake.  Having goals makes it easier to see progress and stay motivated.  I'm still a long way from getting back into the gym but 250 steps seems like a big step toward getting back.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  Very frustrating it can be...I will say that during my two month lay off, I really wondered if I could ever get back going again.  I don't know about your situation, but try to keep it going and looking for small improvements.  You might be surprised how far you can go.  

Best Answer

@RonlaubI have a friend who is an Ultra Runner always impresses me

@Woobies: Sorry to hear that. You will get better and be able to meet those 250 per hour. Just focus right now on getting better

My motivators are the challenges I do with friends weekly. Most are from my city and we are all friends. A few are Friends of my sister. We always have fun and talk a lot.

Also eating healthy is important to me

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

You're doing a great job @Woobies. That condition is really hard, I think that it's a good start. I'm sure you will improve with the time and some motivation! Kudos to your wife! She is taking good care of you. Robot Happy

good  work.jpg

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear that @Woobies. Your wife is so lovely. Keep it up, I'm sure you can achieve the current goal and recover yourself because you used to exercise so it's just about time. Robot Happy

My way to stay motivated was to find a sport that I enjoyed. I tried to go to the gym and Zumba classes but I was never consistent. Until earlier this month that I started swimming, I feel excited every time I go. After swimming, I feel energized and I always want to go back. Based in this motivation, I'm doing even more steps than what I usually did. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

My motivation is the climb.

Last year I had to walk up a hill from the main drag to get home. Had to stop at least twice to rest.

Now I like to walk down the hill and back up a few times a day, and I feel much better. It's only about a thousand steps to get near the bottom and back up again but it's 10 flights up from where I turn around. Normally I only do it two or three times, but it feels good that I know I can do it when I want to. Last Saturday I did it a dozen times just for the heck of it.

My legs feel better and I know my step count impresses no one but knocking out the stair badges is more enjoyable to me than steps. To each their own, I suppose.

If it was not for that one day that I thought I was going to die Smiley LOL walking up that hill I might not even go out each day, but now I try to knock off 25 flights a day just because it feels good to be able to do it.

Best Answer
Flights are great. A better workout than just walking anyway. I always hate
going down though.
Best Answer