Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What keeps you motivated?

No matter our goal, we're all here to get healthier. Whether you're trying to lose weight, lower your heart rate, sleep or eat better - or any other health goal - the odds are that you'll have days where motivation is a challenge.

What's your health goal and how do you stay motivated? Share your top tips or hacks with other community members here.

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

@Patrick good for you, amazing how quickly you can feel the improvement when you commit.

@Heather-S woah, can't believe your goal streak! That's amazing and would motivate me as well - it's all too easy to get a high step count in the week and sit on the couch all weekend.

@rayban776 I also try to get my heart rate lower. I've noticed since wearing my Fitbit to bed, I have a much more accurate (and lower!) resting heart rate as your HR is a lot lower when you're asleep. Still trying to get mine in the low 60s though for when I'm active. Sounds like you've made great progress!

@Woobies Sorry to hear about your health issues - I'm sure it's hard to imagine getting beyond 250 steps an hour but you can absolutely do it! Small steps at a time is the only way. We're all rooting for you and hope you come back and keep us posted about your progress!

Best Answer

I started a 30 day yoga challenge I saw online 57 days ago. It is free, the teacher is sweet and loving. It is usually 20 to 30 minutes. I have been able to get back into a regular practice of activity which I have not been able to do for a few years. I find myself wanting to do other activity, like walks swimming etc. I am eating better with out a lot of effort. I have stopped some habits that I have previously found difficult to stop. I also bought my fitbit and have been enjoying the data collection and being able to track progress.

Best Answer

Fantastic @Edgarbird and thanks for sharing. It seems we can change bad habits over time with the right motivation and support. Finding new good habits to replace the not so good habits is possible, but at times, I really do miss potato chips at night!

Glad you're with us.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

This is going to sound a tad off the wall.. here i am 51 yr old mom.. and I am out moving chasing Pokemon's.. sure i get my regular walks in with nursing and two big dogs, but Pokemon (still learning how to play) has got me up and moving.. trails, hikes, lakes, rivers and parks.. even the local store parking lot.. Only you can see them.. and they are everywhere (almost) to catch.. At least im not in front of the TV. PC or couch... right?  

Best Answer

Hello @Pips252

I love it! Whatever gets you up and moving is great. Your dogs must enjoy having more walks and nothing wrong with catching a few monsters along the way. Thanks for sharing that.

Best Answer

Life keeps me motivated!

Best Answer

My motivation was a life line given to me in a health scare warning.

When you are really overweight & you sit still for too long?  The blood pools in your extremities.  Then when you go to stand up & move?

Your heart has to move that blood.

It cannot always do that. 

It is not an easy task. 

For some?  Their heart fails.

I was lucky.   I had the 'warning' & not the 'resting to standing' heart attack or stroke that kills so many & every single day. 

August 2015 I was but able to just walk a 1/2 mile without resting.  I weighed in at >310<lb and at 168cm or 5' 6" that is past borderline morbidly obese.  I was absolutely huge.

Run forward September 2016. 110lb weight loss.  My first indoor 60K triathlon.  Then February 2017 my Second.  I was now down to circa >205<lb and I have maintained close to that weight since. June 2018 I completed a 100k walk in just over 24 hours. To date my highest ever 1 day step count! 90k 'Rocket Boot' badge.  I regular cycle 15 miles 1 - 2 times a week, I train 1 - 2 hours a day 4 - 6 days a week.

I love walking Mount Snowdon or Ben Nevis and see the summit of both several times a year. 

Start 2017 I was challenged in my local gym I could not complete 13.1 miles or 21.1km on a treadmill.

That is what fired off the running of Half Marathons with April 2017 being my 1st. I'm now 11th to date. My next & last is 13 October Manchester. Last because I no longer enjoy running at all. I'd much rather be in the gym or on my bike.

I'm very challenge motivated. I not only use FitBit with Strava but too MyZone. 

Now, MyZone? This is a whole new level of motivation!  Live feed back of the class, group & training session you are in so you are 'in real time' directly competing 'on a screen in front of you' with others training with you.

When you have people 1/2 & more of your own age (I'm 58) that cannot keep up with you?

Now, that is motivational.

Blaze, Surge, Ionic and Versa1. I am not a FitBit employee.
Best Answer

@GrubbyDuck wrote:

When you have people 1/2 & more of your own age (I'm 58) that cannot keep up with you?

Now, that is motivational.

Ah,  Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall @GrubbyDuck 😉

I’m about the same age as you (59 a few days ago) and have been slowing a bit — or at least it seems that way when little kids running on the sidewalk can keep pace with or get ahead of me while I bike commute.  

Like you, I think I’m pretty motivated by fear of death, and losing my mobility.  Looking at my family tree, my mom and dad both died in their early 60s, my mom’s sister died in her 50s, and my maternal grandmother died in her early 50s.  On the other hand, my dad’s sister is still moving well at 79, both her parents made it to their 90s,   Although there is always a genetic component, my longer-lived relatives all seem to have been more active throughout their lives.  I’ve tried to emulate that.  I bike commute, walk to stores in the neighborhood or where I work, walk the dogs, make time for trips to the gym, cook a lot of what I eat myself, and try the remember adage: Use it or lose it.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Always brings a smile to read posts by the youngsters talking about how they are getting old.....

😊

(Just kidding. I am almost 68; so for people my age it's amusing to see people in their 50s noticing that they are losing a step here and there.....)

Best Answer

@Patrick, yeah, I know.  Cry me a river, right?

My cousin (70) sent me a text to wish me a Happy Birthday.  I asked him if I made him feel old.  He said: I don't feel old, but there's no denying the facts.  He still works.  He is still full of it.  And I still want to be him when I grow up. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Wow 😀 @Patrick, I'm so happy to see you cheerful and active. I hope I feel that way when I get older. Today I was talking about my age (37), I was telling a friend that I feel as I've just turned 30. Yeap, time flies when you're getting fun, 😁 but we need to remember the important thing here is "enjoy the ride".

@Baltoscott Loved your comment "I still want to be him when I grow up

Capture.PNG

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

My biggest motivation at the moment is that I have $1k to lose if I don't hit my target weight.I've paid for elective reconstructive surgery (muscle repair) and I have to be under 65kg and within a normal BMI range to have the surgery (surgeon's requirements). If I cancel that surgery in Dec because I haven't met my target and therefore lose my slot, I also lose my deposit! I've saved for 3 years to afford the surgery. Iwish I actively started trying to also lose weight 3 years ago!

However, no time is a good as the present time so I have 7kg to lose. PS - I have lost 16kg already since April 2018.

Best Answer

Looking at my glucose levels.

I'm the type of person who never goes to the doctor.  My former boss, who I adored, died suddenly of a massive heart attack.  Scared the heck out of me, so I decided to see my doctor and get labs done.  Some stuff is borderline, but my glucose levels were elevated.  I've been told it's nothing to be too concerned over, but I need to make diet changes and go for walks.  At least 1/2 an hour 4-5 times a week.  That's when I got my FitBit.

So far, I've lost 3 lbs in less than a week.

Here's to being more active and making healthier choices 🍉🥑🌳🚶‍🥂

Best Answer

Hi @Dodgerchick thanks for sharing your story. It's true that it often takes something like that to make us take a deep breath and face facts. Fear sometimes makes us run, but looks like you ran in the right direction. Seems like you got a good report from the doctor and are taking steps to prevent future problems. Good for you! You've got this and with these forums, you can help inspire others. Glad you're with us!

Best Answer

Wow @GrubbyDuck that's an amazing story! 11 half marathons?!  That's awesome!  I'm hoping to run my second in December.  We shall see... 🙂

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I found your story really encouraging @Joy2019. I'm with you 🤗! There is no time like the present, you've worked a lot to loose those 16kg, and I'm sure you will loose the rest missing. Don't stop, I have motto for my weight goals: One day at a time. 

Don't loose motivation, stay positive and keep sharing your story. There are a lot of people who need inspiration, you will help others to keep motivated too. Thanks for sharing, I'm so proud of you. 🏆

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi I find what keep me motivated is exercise makes not only makes me stronger physically but you can see results so clearly, which is motivating. whereas other things in life, hard work can take years to see the results eg studying for a degree, promotions, improving relationships etc. Whereas exercise is much more straight forward in terms of you work hard consistently and the improvements and results soon show. 

I am motivated to exercise also as it helps me with my energy levels and mood

Best Answer

Challenges with friends, family and colleagues to keep me on my toes. I work for a sports company with many competitive people. It motivates me to do better. And to get more done out of my day!

Best Answer

Hey everybody! This week I'm in a challenge with my son. I found this really motivating since I usually compete with friend and coworkers. Thank you all for sharing your comments. I hope to see your results and comments next week. 

And let's enjoy the ride everyday! 

Best Answer

Nothing sad about that @Woobies ! Those 250 steps an hour really add up over the course of a day. I hope this leads you on whatever course of fitness you desire. 

- Jason

Best Answer
0 Votes