Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

82 yr old mom

ANSWERED

I gave my 82 yr old mom -- who has always been a super active walker, swimmer, etc. -- a fitbit and now she is obsessed with reaching 10,000 steps. She normally walks 2+ miles every day -- at her age, isn't that enough? She's convinced that anything under 10,000 is failure. Are their any age based guidelines? My 25 yr old son regularly clocks 20,000+ -- good for him but not for me or my mom. Any thoughts?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
That's great she is so active. I am not a medical professional, but it am guessing most of the guidelines you will find are going to be minimums - 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (e.g., brisk walking) a week, plus muscle-strengthening activities on at least two days of the week.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4
That's great she is so active. I am not a medical professional, but it am guessing most of the guidelines you will find are going to be minimums - 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (e.g., brisk walking) a week, plus muscle-strengthening activities on at least two days of the week.

Best Answer

@LaurieW wrote:

I gave my 82 yr old mom -- who has always been a super active walker, swimmer, etc. -- a fitbit and now she is obsessed with reaching 10,000 steps. She normally walks 2+ miles every day -- at her age, isn't that enough? She's convinced that anything under 10,000 is failure. Are their any age based guidelines? My 25 yr old son regularly clocks 20,000+ -- good for him but not for me or my mom. Any thoughts?

@LaurieW Read this link which Fitbit is based on. Also the book "Younger next Year" which suggests similar to @Jrdubyakc suggestion.

I'm only 7 years from mom next month and find I need at least a 45 min walk at about 70% of my maxHR.

It is not about the steps, that is just a target to get you moving which is a World health Organisation and many Governments number to try and stop the obesity/diabetes crisis we have in modern society.

To get my 10,000 I have to walk my 45 minutes which gives me about 5,500 steps and the rest is domestics. I can get 1,100 every time I go to the supermarket, that's walking every aisle. They are my all weather walking track, they will build these large monstrosities.

Also, just walking out of my house to the next street and back gives me 690 steps, an easy one, safe and can be done at mid evening without the neighbors thinking I'm a nutter.

So if I do the 45 minute walk, the supermarket and 5 laps outside the house I have my 10,000 steps. I have just finished 3 years with Fitbit yesterday and averaged 10,001 steps/day on that journey.

So take it easy and it is achievable and if your mom's health is OK, and for her age I'm sure her doctor would recommend it.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Both my grandmothers lived far into their 90's doing crazy things like that and I think both of them could have done that at 89 even though I'm barely breaking 4000 now!  LOL!  (I'm a newbie too)  I would encourage her to take smaller goals and work up to it though.  That way she knows your on her side.  After she does a certain one for a week or two go to the next.  That will give you a good indication how her body is dealing with that level of stress.  That generation lived through some tough times and let's face it, she itn't going to take no for an answer! 🙂  Margaret  

Best Answer

My grandmother shoveled snow at the age of 85 so getting 10,000 steps is an achievable goal.  It's great to be active and the Fitbit helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes