Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for Marathon Training

Hi! I am an avid runner who also lifts weights. I've been teaching college, so have had a very flexible schedule that allows me to work out twice a day. I am going to start a new job as a high school teacher in the fall, and am trying to anticipate the best way to keep up with my training. I have a marathon in September and January, and I like to keep up my strength training as well. I would love to hear from people who train seriously and still balance demanding jobs and busy lives. Thank you in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Best is to get early in the morning and get the run done. I use to get up at 5 and finish the run before 6:30 and get to work. You will feel very refreshed and also don't have to wait till the end of the day.

3 day run, one weekend long run and one or two days strength depending on the time.

Definitely one or two rest days for recovery is needed depending on the intensity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a teacher and training for my 7th marathon.  I run or do strength training after school 3-4 days a week.  I get to work early to do my prep/paperwork etc. so I can leave right after school.   I do my long run on Saturday during the school year - on Friday during the summer.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! How many miles a week do you run? Congrats on the marathons. That's quite an accomplishment!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do a 3 miler on Monday and a 3 miler on Wednesday then my long run on Friday/Saturday.  I usually do a 3-5 mile walk with my husband once or twice a week, too.  I have just recently started strength training and am doing it on Tuesdays and Thursdays - but don't think I will be able to keep up that schedule once school starts this fall.  I have never done it before - I just have some extra time this summer - it is certainly not required in order to run a successful marathon!

I have followed the Hal Higdon Marathon training plan before and I have followed the Jeff Galloway plan before.  When I sign up for a marathon now I print out both plans and sit down and make my own schedule.  I use both schedules and what I know about myself to make my own plan.  I know I like to have three runs between 20-23 miles, I like two down weeks starting at about 18 miles and I give myself 2-3 weeks to taper.  I fill in my own schedule with those things in mind - as well as taking into consideration any travel or major plans in my life.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi really need help..

i have never ran a marathon before or even to my local shop but I applied to the London marathon and got a place..what is the best Fitbit for this (remember I am new and will be running min on min off for first few weeks of training) also any ideas for best music machines as in iPhones or others? 

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Esther77, for serious running you can't beat the new Ionic if you can afford it.  

It has a built in "interval" workout so you will find that great for starting out your training (one minute running, one minute walking). Then later you will really appreciate the stats it gives you while running -- pace, average pace, distance, time, heart rate.  Afterwards you will get a record of all the stats on your app and a map of your run.

Congratulations on getting a place on the London!  I ran it in 2001, before any of these fitness watches existed.  Man, that really would have helped my training! 

For long training runs I preferred talk radio or now it would be podcasts or audio books as that required more concentration than music and the miles slipped by more easily.

Keep us posted how you get on with your training!  If you make it round in April it will change your life forever -- you will always be a marathon runner!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Adi80adi when I was on my final 3 months "pre race", I was running 5 times a week that included a long run on the weekend (alternating a half marathon or a 3 hour run). Since that long run was more intense, I figured the day before and after should be a rest day or a cross training exercise. Therefore I placed my strength training in those days. This allowed me to run 5 times a week and still doing strength training 2 times a week. That being said, before the actual marathon I dropped the weight training entirely to drop more body weight and gain more speed. It actually did not affect my strength training performance "post race" at all. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes