Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

58 years old and Running a 5 k in 7 weeks

ANY ADVISE?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

that's awesome. I am sure you have been running for some time now so you know what works for you from a pace perspective. I know a lot of runners really watch their diet weeks leading up to a run. Make sure you get lots of rest and you properly hydrate before during and after the run. Good luck to you- I am sure you will do great!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rmahooposGreat goal at any age. Is this your first race? High quality food and good sleep are key. As some who has done a lot of 1/2 marathons, I never worry about my time (I'm not going to win, so better to finish and live to race another day). I focus on a comfortable pace that I know I can go the distance with and I try to have fun. After all isn't it all about enjoying yourself while accomplishing a goal? 

Best of luck!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

How long have you been running?  If you have just started slowly work up your distance at your own pace.  The old rule of thumb was increase your weekly distance by 10% a week.  My only advice is to run the 3.1 miles once during the week before the run so psychologically you know you can do it.  Running a race is 80% mental and 20% physical if you have properly trained.  Avoid being pulled along by the crowd at the beginning.  Keep to a comfortable pace and maintain it.  Remember your goal is to finish,  Forget about your time, if you run another 5K then try to better you time, and you will if you keep to a training regimen.  If you are running in new shoes, wear 2 pair of socks, a thin pair next to your skin, followed by a regular pair, this will help avoid blisters.  I always had 2 rules, listen to your body and never train through pain.  Good luck, and enjoy the feeling you will get at the finish line.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rmahoopos, as others have intimated, please provide some more context regarding your recent running as well as how much running you've done in the past.  With that information we'll be able to give you some advice.

Best Answer