Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing to log mileage while on exercise bike

I've recently broken my leg and have had a tibial fixation with nail.  I have joined a Race at Your Own Pace thing for October and I have set my distance at 75 miles.  I am using an exercise bike for the majority of the mileage and as a physio exercise but can't find a way to log the mileage......even if I try and log an exercise manually it seems to decide how many miles I've done...I need records to prove that I have achieved the 75 mile amount at the end of October and had taken it for granted that the Fitbit was my best way of logging it...apparently not!   Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  I cant put the thing on my ankle as someone suggested to log steps instead. TYIA. Fiona 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Based on your other posts so far, it appears you are using a Surge (let us know if it’s not the case). Have you tried logging your biking workouts as "BIKE", which is an activity specifically supported by the Surge? I’m not sure if it applies to indoors biking or only outdoors biking, but if not, you could try elliptical instead. Just a guess, I have access to neither equipment.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi...thanks for your response...no it's a Blaze I've got now....I'm not great with this forum stuff! I shall have a look at the elliptical and see if that logs mileage....thank you;)

| | Virus-free. www.avast.com |
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pixelfi wrote:

I need records to prove that I have achieved the 75 mile amount at the end of October 

I would personally use the time of your biking sessions as a proxy for distance. 75 miles in 31 days is 2.4 miles per day. Let’s say you would be riding at a leisurely 9.5 mph pace if you were riding on flat ground outside (cyclists like @Daves_Not_Here can correct me if the pace is not realistic). You would need a little more than 15 minutes to cover 2.4 miles. Now, try to find the resistance level on your exercise bike that would correspond to riding a regular bike on flat ground outdoors at that same pace, and start logging sessions on your Blaze. If you can get 15 minutes in average during the month, you would have accomplished your 75 miles. You can record these sessions as "workout" on your Blaze and rename them to "Indoor biking" (or similar) in the activity log. The activity log would include things like calories burned and average heart rate, which would be further evidence that you didn’t slack while on the bike. The log would thus be good enough a proof in my book.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pixelfi -- I saw the callout by @Dominique , but I'm afraid I'm not aware of a technical solution short of using an exercise cycle that logs mileage.  My suggestion is to contact the event coordinators, explain your situation, and ask for their recommendation.  It could be as simple as logging time and effort, and making an attestation as to distance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pixelfi- I don't know how true this is but I remember reading awhile ago that women can put their tracker in their bosom during the bike ride and it registers more accurate as "steps" which could translate to distance. I have no idea if its true and you would lose HR data - but maybe try a half mile and see what you see.....

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I occasionally ride an exercise bike and have found if I rest my hand on my thigh, it will record as steps and I get my heart rate information. I've tried putting it on my shoe, but which also worked, but you lose heart rate by doing that. Hope that helps.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes