Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Fitness Tracker for Kids?

ANSWERED

Hi;

I intend to buy a gift for my little cousin this december (He's 13), I have been looking around for the right activity tracker to get him (I am sure he would love it); but I am yet to find one that really make sense to me. 

I read something about kids fitness tracker; (here) they recommended some; but i'd like a first hand recommendation from those that have gotten one for their kids. I am more interested in something that would motivate the kid to be more active without seeing fitness as a "burden" sort of.

I am keeping a record of my deeds... Just in case I have to argue my way into heaven...
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Good call.

Because the basic formula's used for metabolism and exercise calorie burn are for adults - not kids' bodies.

So the math would be all off, and if calories started being a concern and it badly influenced eating habits - worse time to start that is as a kid.

Now a general pedometer just to show steps, with no attempt at calorie burn for the day, perhaps just for the walking aspect - might be useful.

Not as bad encouraging more activity - though that can go awry too with someone with body dysmorphic problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I see several on Amazon. I would look there and read the reviews it could help make your decision

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Kid tracker for a 13 year old seems like a waste as he/she will outgrow it rather quickly.  A fitbit or the like would be a better long term item.

Best Answer

Thanks... I just wish there is something that can be used as a "starting point" motivation for kids under the age of 14. I checked amazon but the ones I saw on there are not really great. Maybe I would wait till next year and get something different this year.

Thanks though.

I am keeping a record of my deeds... Just in case I have to argue my way into heaven...
Best Answer
0 Votes

Good call.

Because the basic formula's used for metabolism and exercise calorie burn are for adults - not kids' bodies.

So the math would be all off, and if calories started being a concern and it badly influenced eating habits - worse time to start that is as a kid.

Now a general pedometer just to show steps, with no attempt at calorie burn for the day, perhaps just for the walking aspect - might be useful.

Not as bad encouraging more activity - though that can go awry too with someone with body dysmorphic problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Yes, that's true. Calories intake and usage should not be a concern for kids; except when their BMI is fairly above normal. I concur that a pedometer will do. 

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would think if your going to get a kid a fitbit I would go with a zip its the cheapest and most non complicated one that they make. I don't have kids or a tracker yet so I would not know much about it.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
Just seeing this... Thanks though.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I just bought my daughter a Flex today. Yay for Mothers Day sale! The problem we are having with pedometers is they keep falling off. At $6 each, that gets expensive fast.
Best Answer
0 Votes

How does your daughter like her flex?  My kids want one but I am worried about the wristband not staying on.  We also have the same problem with pedometers always falling off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Shrinking and @ahirschi and everyone having problems with fall off of their devices, i would advise you get a fastener from amazon as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

Regards

AdamLove

Best Answer
0 Votes
We did, thanks.  My kids love their fitbits.  They are so much more active which in turn makes the reat of their fitbit friends now active because who wants to be beat by a 7 year old.  

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes