Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have health issues? I am post surgery, on medication.

How to get healthy and off medication.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

You need to ask your DR what you can do. I would get over the surgery before doing anything

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm sorry about your lymphedema.  I've been spared that, so far, but I did spend a lot of time walking during and after my chemo treatments to get/keep healthy.  I'm six years out from my cancer diagnosis and am doing whatever I have to in order to stay healthy.  Walking is a wonderful exercise, even if you start with just a few steps a day,  If you can get outside - even better.

My hand tends to swell a bit when I walk, due to a recent hand surgery, but wrapping it beforehand (no pun intended) seems to help.  Do you have a compression sleeve?

I wish you healing and good health in the future, and I agree that you should talk to your doctor.

(Please forgive me if I incorrectly assumed that you have lymphedema.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, if you increase what you do by 10% per week that's 3.5x as much in 3 months, 12x as much in six months and 142x as much in a year. That, to me, is the key. Even if you start at 100 steps a day and do 10% more each week you would be at 14K steps a day in a year. It isn't what you do this week, this month, the next few months, but what you do for the next ten years. So there's no hurry. Just start with what's easy and then keep doing a little bit more each week.

Best Answer

Read, study and learn.  I did it by learning about nutrition first.  So much hype out there. So much bad information.  But all the "movement" and exercise in the world won't help if you're fueling wrong.  After months of educating myself, I decided to go Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and then I also went Ketogenic.  I practice IF (intermittent fasting).  I incorporated all of that at my fattest and sickest.  Although I'm still fat, I'm healthier and have begun to add more movement to my plan.  Moving alone won't get you off meds.  But moving more and more IN ADDITION to a great nutrition plan can make all the difference.  My diabetes is gone.  My blood pressure is down. My heart is still having issues, but i'm walking more and more each week and swimming and all kinds of things I haven't been able to to for a very long time.  I am completely medication free.  But without changing my diet permanently I don't think i could have ever MOVED (exercised) enough to make the changes.  Best of luck, my friend!!  Remember, you can change everything in ONE moment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes