Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I stay with Fitbit?

My Charge HR needs replacing after 15 months of mostly 24/7 use.  Do I get another Fitbit tracker or do I get a product from another manufacturer? 

This is how I use my devices.  Charge HR for heart rate, steps, sleep, calories, excercise tracking.  iPhone for:  interval timer app to set up and follow during runs; Nike Run App to track routes, view maps, pace, splits, feedback during run, note taking and weather; Fitbit app for tracker metrics.

Battery issues seem to be a common problem - so I expect the next one to be no better.

I loved my Charge HR, but I'm not confident it will last >2 yrs.  lots of $$$$ for a disposable device that doesn't meet all my needs.

Suggestions?  Another Fitbit of some sort or ......?

Heartratelessrunner

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

In my opinion, picking out a tracker is a personal preference kind of purchase. They all now do pretty much the same thing, have some of the same issues and offer the same bells and whistles. I think where Fitbit wins hands down is the community and support offered not just from members but from the folks who work for Fitbit. Not to mention there is now a tracker that literally fits every life style- HR, waterproof, band choices, etc.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cslroberts, it is really up to you what you choose to do. Get something that you feel comfortable with, and will continue to use.  As for me, I have had very good service from my Fitbit devices, and will continue with them for some time to come.  But, you mileage may vary....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cslroberts: I agree with @emili about the value of the community and – more generally – of the Fitbit "ecosystem". In other words, it’s not just the hardware.

There are fancier sportwatches/trackers like the Suunto Spartan or the Garmin Fenix, but we are looking at devices that cost $500+ and with a warranty similar to that of a Fitbit. It’s one thing to have a $100-150 tracker failing after two years, but a totally different thing when it’s something that costs 4-5 times as much.

Charge 2 would be a good upgrade to Charge HR IMO: it has a sturdier build, a removable band, reminder to move, cardio fitness score (may appeal to you as a runner) and sleep changes (soon available). 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Emili,

Thanks for your comments!  

Fitbit support has been helpful and offered a discount on a new Fitbit if purchased from Fitbit.com.

That said, I'm still looking at $200+ (CDN) for a replacement and the battery issues seem to be a common issue. 

I'm on the fence - Garmin is more expensive short term ....

Best Answer
0 Votes

USAF-Larry

Thanks for your reply.

Im curious, are you saying you've had many Fitbit devices?  May I ask why?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dominique,

i agree with with all the replies so far @USAF-Larry @emili .

My first choice is to find a better deal on the Charge HR, around $100CDN. I'm disappointed Fitbit is only offering 25% off their $US web price.

The Charge 2 looks like a good option and I suppose that's where the conundrum begins.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cslroberts wrote:

Im curious, are you saying you've had many Fitbit devices?  May I ask why?

I have not had many, but I have 3 presently - Charge HR, Charge 2, and Flex 2.  Why? Features and new technology mostly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cool!  I saw the Flex 2 is waterproof?

Best Answer
0 Votes

What’s your exact problem with your Charge HR? Has it stopped working altogether? Or (since you mentioned battery problems) its battery doesn’t hold its charge for long enough?

I personally feel the extra features and improved design of the Charge 2 make it worth the extra price compared to a second Charge HR.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went with the Flex 2, since I swim a lot.  I've had a Flex in the past and started with a Zip.  But in between I went Garmin.  The Garmin tracker is very nice, but the syncing was atrocious.  I had nothing but problems and had to eBay it away.  It was frustrating and FitBit had no syncing problems for me.  Then I had a Misfit Shine 2.  It was fantastic and the battery could last up to 6 months!!  That is what sold me.  BUT...their software was so subpar!  OMG.  I sent it back within the 60 day guarantee because the software app and the web portal were not up to my standards.

For awhile I used "mapmyfitness" and carried my phone everywhere with NO tracker.  Then, recently, I got my Flex2 and I've been VERY happy with it. My only complaint with FitBits is the battery longevity.  I have to charge mine every four days.  But, if I put it on the charger during my daily shower, that usually keeps it charged up pretty well.  I will definitely stick with Fitbit -- even though their Android app is having a bug right now -- hopefully they'll roll out a fix soon.

FOR ME, the best combination of a great tracker, a great phone app, a great web experience, and trouble-free syncing -- Fitbit is the ONLY one that meets all those expectations.  Not perfectly, but closer than anyone else.  The Fitbit COMMUNITY is also a BIG plus.  None of the other communities were as fun, welcoming, enjoyable or usable as FitBit's. 

No matter what you choose, keep moving and stay healthy!!

Best Answer
0 Votes