Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archery: How can I use my FB to record training and competitions?

Hi

I've been doing archery for just under two years now.

It is the indoor season and it is a bit hard to get motivated and stay focussed on what I need to do to improve my form for next year's outdoor season.

I wanted to use my Surge to help me keep a record of my training sessions.

I am interested in what my heart rate is doing during the shot but also for a full day competition, the calories and distance. I have tried logging an activity retrospectively on my phone by adding in the time started and duration but it doesn't seem to pick up all the measurements.The calorie burn is based on an average per minute.

I think if I tried tracking it by recording from my surge, say as a walk, it would only track a few hours before the battery runs out if the GPS and HR was on. A typical training session is one- three hours and a full day competition could be 7-8 hours (and it would be interesting to work out the distance walked, 24 times back and forth to a target 30-70 meters away).

I'm sure there is a way of doing this but I haven't worked it out yet. Any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@MichelleArcher wrote:

Hi

I've been doing archery for just under two years now.

It is the indoor season and it is a bit hard to get motivated and stay focussed on what I need to do to improve my form for next year's outdoor season.

I wanted to use my Surge to help me keep a record of my training sessions.

I am interested in what my heart rate is doing during the shot but also for a full day competition, the calories and distance. I have tried logging an activity retrospectively on my phone by adding in the time started and duration but it doesn't seem to pick up all the measurements.The calorie burn is based on an average per minute.

I think if I tried tracking it by recording from my surge, say as a walk, it would only track a few hours before the battery runs out if the GPS and HR was on. A typical training session is one- three hours and a full day competition could be 7-8 hours (and it would be interesting to work out the distance walked, 24 times back and forth to a target 30-70 meters away).

I'm sure there is a way of doing this but I haven't worked it out yet. Any ideas?

@MichelleArcher If I want my HR data over a given waking activity I select "Walk" and to analyse sleep, I use Yoga.

If you haven't selected any of those and want your HR data you create a Custom Activity which will give you your HR graph, BUT, it levels the calories etc over the time period. That normally eliminates your Activity Minutes. After I have analysed any of the Custom HR's I delete them

If you want to see the calorie burn in one minute increments you create an Activity Record using the large stopwatch and view it by clicking on the small stopwatch near the description.

Here is an example of the 24 hour HR Custom Activity.

24 hr hr.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I will try out the stopwatch - not thought of that thanks for the tip. I've managed to get a HR trace by logging my Thursday session retrospectively. This has already been very useful as I was a bit surprised how high my heart rate was.
I was wondering what an activity logged with the Martial Arts category would do. I have an outdoor session Sunday so I'll try it then.
Cheers
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MichelleArcher wrote:
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I will try out the stopwatch - not thought of that thanks for the tip. I've managed to get a HR trace by logging my Thursday session retrospectively. This has already been very useful as I was a bit surprised how high my heart rate was.
I was wondering what an activity logged with the Martial Arts category would do. I have an outdoor session Sunday so I'll try it then.
Cheers

@MichelleArcher Glad to help. Keep us posted becuase when I watch the shooting and archery in the Olympics I always wonder how the HR goes..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Curious - does your breathing rate go up when the HR goes up, like standing there holding the bow under tension?

I'm assuming the breathing either is kept under strict control from what it wants to be - or you don't have a great need for many or deep breaths anyway.

The reason I ask - elevated HR for calculating calorie burn is only decently accurate when the HR (and breathing rate by extension) increase to proved more oxygen to burn the more fuel required for an aerobic steady-state exercise being done.

Things farther removed from that limited range of validity will be less and less accurate.

Like higher HR because of standing in the sun hot, or excited by something you are watching, ect.

The higher HR has nothing to do with bigger calorie burn, except the neglible amount extra the heart is burning itself - but nothing the body is doing harder.

Except for the walking back and forth part, I'd bet any other big, and perhaps bigger spikes have nothing to do with increased effort, at least not to the extent the HR would indicate.

It would be interesting to see how high it gets - and then sometime do a test run to see how fast you must go for a valid aerobic exercise to hit the same high level. Now the breathing matches the high HR.

Also - keeping GPS on probably isn't needed, and actually not likely to be that accurate with back and forths like that, not as much as accurate step stride length that has been verified.

GPS doesn't do good with fast changes of direction usually. Though your potential open field location would help.

And hitting the button to create an Activity Record that you can name later is sure the way to go about logging it. Name it whatever you want for finding it faster on review of exercise diary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
Thanks for your detailed answer.
I'm interested in hr and calories for different reasons.
An archer wants to be relaxed during the shot . I believe it is similar to shotgun where you want your Hr to be as low as possible and ideally to take the shot between beats. I have started running to try to get my hr a big lower. I also want to track my heart rate during practice and compare it with hr during a competition.

Im interested in calorie burn across a full day comp to help me work out a refuelling plan.

Some archers hold their breath during the shot but not everyone agrees with that.
I'm holding 30 lbs at full draw but I need to get up to 36 really . Olympic ladies may be holding upwards of 40 lbs and gents 50+

I'm going to track a few different sessions and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help and interest.
Best Answer
0 Votes