Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any other sporty folks recovering from covid?

ANSWERED

I'm Natalie, a keen photographer, hiker, cyclist and runner. Very much enjoyed being fit, until my world was turned upside down by covid/pneumonia. I'm recovering but have months and months to go as I can hardly walk around my house without getting out of breath.

I bought my fitbit to help with sleep and monitor my heart (covid left me with a Tachycardia). I'd love to connect with others recovering and share our fight back to fitness. I was in hospital critically ill for a month, so came out very de-conditioned, I have lost so much strength in my legs.

Before all this, I could run 5k in about 30 minutes, not bad for my 50 years of age. I also enjoyed hiking in the lakes with my camera and capturing the beauty of the scenery. 

I'm going to be documenting my recovery on my Youtube Channel (youtube.com/natswright)

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Is there a link? I’d love to join as I just got a Fitbit. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
43 REPLIES 43

Hi @Natastrophe ! What a good idea! I will be following this thread for sure. I did not have covid, but have been dealing with chronic clots in my lungs that leave me barely able to exert myself. (A shower is a major undertaking.) After several more procedures to remove these clots from my lungs, I will also be starting over, working to get my endurance back. So, we are in similar situations. Just got a new Fitbit. After talking to my doctors, my plan involves starting off slowly with recumbent exercises. (I have a recumbent cross fit and an under-table elliptical.) I got a band for my Fitbit that will fit around my ankle so as to better capture my “steps.” As soon as I get the ok, I plan to reset my goal to 2,000 steps a day and increase it slowly from there. 

I admire how you are turning your bitter lemon into lemonade! We can do this! But it will be easier with a friend. Anyone else want to join us? We can friend each other and set up challenges suited to our limited (but improving) efforts. What do you think?

Best Answer

I haven't had COVID, but I'd like to support you in your journey, so I sent you a friend request. I'm a cyclist, runner, hiker too. 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA
Pixel Watch 2, Inspire 3, Sense | Android

Best Answer

Thanks for the support! I only started getting fit in the last couple of years, and now have to do it all over again. Just managed 6 hours or so of decent sleep and woke up at 6am feeling very refreshed for a change! Fitbit said I had almost an hour deep sleep!

Best Answer

Great idea, and thanks for your support, we can do this!I set my steps goal this week to 1000 steps and passed it, although i'm sure some of those are picked up when i'm restless in bed! Next week will be 1500 steps, as I'm going to start walking to the kitchen. I was using a wheeled chair for mobility around the house, but I'm ready to increase my walking.

Physio told me that you have to use your muscles to reduce their need for oxygen, and although that makes you breathless its better in the long run as you gain aerobic capacity!

Its like a challenge I did a few years ago, couch to 5k, where I went from being rather unfit, to running 5k in 30 minutes. Ironically, when I started I was out of breath after 30 seconds jogging. But each week I went running, I could do a minute, then 2 minutes, then 5 and so on.

I suspect the same principle will apply to me now, I have to start pushing myself, or i'll not get better very quickly. 

Best Answer

That's very similar to what I did. Several years ago, I was in an accident that left me in a wheelchair for about a year. It was a long, slow struggle to get back to where I wanted to be, but I did get there and you will too!

I wrote a blog about my experience. If you want to read that click here

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA

Best Answer

I read it, @alexthecat. Inspiring story. Thanks for sharing.

Best Answer

Phew, what a day yesterday, after a great start and some real progress I hit a massive fatigue attack that lasted from 4pm yesterday to midnight! Thankfully I fell a sleep and grabbed 6 hours decent shut eye, with some good rem and deep sleep.

Taking it easy today

Best Answer

@Natastrophe — I think you are right that you have to push yoursef to make progress.  But think in terms of baby steps.  I was just listening to a podcast on ‘long covid’ (The Ezra Klein Show: Long Covid and the Blind Spots of American Medicine) that featured someone who like you was pretty athletic before getting covid, and found that pushing too hard led to relapse, so take it slow. (The podcast is left leaning which will turn off some folks, but that particular episode is worth a listen if you’ve had lingering issues after Covid).

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thanks, i'll see if I can find it. I think when it comes to getting useful info we must throw our political leanings out the window or we may be cutting of our nose to spite our face! Sure there will be some useful stuff in there! I may be centre right politically, but I believe to must listen to both sides of an argument to bet a balanced view! Above all, its ok to have a different opinion, something many in the world seem to have forgotten!!

Hey folks, episode 3 of the "Covid Photographer" is live, progress update and macro photography https://youtu.be/p7kJo5GjIBs

Best Answer

I am so very happy to report that after two procedures to help clear my lungs of chronic clots, I am feeling some improvement and even made it to 5,000 steps a couple days ago. I have to be careful not to stress my lungs too much but this was quite a breakthrough for me, even if it did require a long afternoon nap. 4 more procedures schedules. I am feeling very optimistic!

Best Answer

Great news, @SunsetRunner! Naps are when we heal, so you just take all the naps you need! 

Community Council Member

Amanda | Wyoming, USA

Best Answer

Oh, thats great news Carol! Hope it continues to go well for you!

Best Answer

Just a little update here

https://youtu.be/LGTlT5VVvbw

One thing that I found I was doing was checking my heart rate on my fitbit all the time and worrying when I perceived it was too high. This affected my flight or fight response and caused my body to think it was in danger. So I stopped checking. I now check the graph from the previous day, and you know what. My heart rate is lower. If it did go higher, I dont really worry now as if that day was a good one, who cares if my heart rate jumped to 140 for an activity!

When running before all this, my heart could hit 170bpm and was a constant 140bpm or above for the duration of the run!!

I was generating my own anxiety, which then triggered a flight or fight adrenalyn hit, that could have me feeling terrible for hours!

Now I was more unwell in the earlier days, but I think the endless checking of heart rate had my body on high alert most of last week!

So, lets hope this continues, I trust my heart to beat at a rate that keeps me alive!!!

Best Answer

I like your theory of “fight or flight,” @Natastrophe.  I’m happy to see that stopping the constant checking of HR helped. I was checking mine constantly and tracking it for the doctors as they worked to determine my diagnosis (and how to treat it). But after reading your post, I realized that I was still constantly checking it even though it was no longer necessary,  Starting today, I will remind myself that I am in good hands and on my road to recovery. No more constant checking. Thank you, my friend.  

Best Answer

it's worth trying, as checking feeds anxiety. I just played a few more computer games and got a fatigue hit. Lay down for 45 minutes, just starting to feel better now. I just think giving myself less to worry about helps, but do discuss these things with your doctor, i'm no medical expert!

Best Answer

I’m coming from the other side. I spent 6 12 hour days sitting watching ITU machines go beep. Stress eating chocolate and dressed as a spaceman.

What I saw was horrific and has left me agrophobic. Walking to the bin is my goal. I saw too much, held too many hands, cried too much. I was outgoing, muscular (for a female), strong & fast. Now I throw up going to the bus stop. It’s a different Covid recovery.

Best Answer

Idk what to say, just all to stay safe. Post covid recovery is harder than the ilness it self.

Best Answer

You're not wrong! The recovery is so so hard. One minute you can feel almost human, the next you have terrible nausea, anxiety or fatigue!

Best Answer

@Plrunner - my heart goes out to you! So sorry you are going thru this. But please keep on keeping on. Let us know how you are doing. We are interested. 

Best Answer