Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Averagely 300k steps per day

Screenshot_20201230-172801.jpg

I found some users have really large step counts. One of them gets over 300,000 steps a day in average, as shown in the screenshot above. How can this be possible? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@deiG Sometimes those numbers are their weekly average.  It can be a glitch.  Even still, if it was a weekly average, that would be 43K steps per day.  

Or he is cheating.  But I've seen it glitch on profiles before and use their weekly average instead of daily.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I don't think it's a glitch. The value has been this high for a few weeks at least, as I noticed. And please also refer to the following screenshot, in which that user is on the first place of the leaderboard with his 7-day step count of 1,811,721.

Screenshot_20201230-193049.jpg

Best Answer

Oh, wow! @deiG  It does seem to me he is cheating. 300K in 24 hours is impossible. I’m not one to say something is impossible but 300k every day is certainly not achievable. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I'd suggest that isn't even the sitting there shaking it type of cheating - that much shaking of device would lead to wrist issues too.

I guess some folks have very little in their life they feel they are "winning" at (whatever that means to them), and steps against others makes them feel good somehow though cheating.

I've always found some of the best workouts for transforming the body (if that's the purpose of a workout anyway), aren't step based anyway.

My 2 hrs of lifting last night probably got 50 steps, and that was mainly during rests doing something.

That's going to transform the body a whole lot more than 2 hrs of walking short strides and many steps would have gotten me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I'm just curious. How does this kind of cheating happen?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you message him to ask how he finds the time to do the basics in life, such as eating, sleeping and personal hygiene?...

I once saw someone in the community feed posting about their 50th Olympian sandal badge. I took a look at her profile and the average was around 120,000 a day. I did ask her the above but unfortunately never received a reply 🤷🏽‍:male_sign: I mean if you really have to cheat, at least make it believable.

@deiG I assume some sort of set up like in the video below.

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

The same here. He/she/it didn't reply me. 😆

Best Answer

About the video: this kind of cheating is far too slow to achieve 300k steps a day. 🤭

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. I once heard of someone attaching their Fitbit to a car drive shaft. I mean you really have to be desperate if you go to these extents. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know someone who has 95 Olympian Sandal badges (100K steps) and 313 Cowboy Boot badges (50K), but she is a Guinness World Record Holder and she participates in actual ultramarathon walking races where everything is tracked and logged by race officials.  She does NOT average those kinds of steps every day.  You can google her: Yolanda Holder.  She isn't cheating, but again, she doesn't maintain those steps daily.  Only during training and during official race events.  She's been doing walking races for at least 10 years and she's had her Fitbit for 6 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting video.

Also shows up the fact that those kind of bogus steps (in normal life quantities, not cheating mode), add barely any mileage and calorie burn to the daily total.

For when people are concerned the few bogus steps of combing hair or brushing teeth show up.

Bouncing around in truck all day on bumpy road - that's another matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

300k is a huge amount of steps that I would personally think that is impossible to achieve in one day. I'm not judging anyone's work but as @Heather-S mentioned, it's more believable that this amount is the sum of the whole week data.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit in theory it is, sprinting with cadence of 270 steps per minute (my highest sprinting cadence, hence I did computation for it), and going like that for about 19 hours (consider running with pace 2:00 to 3:00 sprinting for 19 hours 😂). Somebody would have to be a machine to do it every day... a machine... hmmm....

Best Answer

It’s impossible to achieve 300k steps in 24 hours🤷‍:female_sign:

Best Answer
0 Votes

He is likely a Pokemon Go player and bought himself one of the cradle swings to put it in overnight so that he can hatch the bigger 10k /12k eggs while sleeping.  Lots of people in my group have them.  The fitbit is likely just used as one of his game tools. 

Best Answer
0 Votes