Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being active when you are ill

I've had my Fitbit for 3 years now. I've been a regular workout person for 20 years, but my Fitbit helped me go to a higher level where I NEED to exercise. When I don't I feel guilty, plus I truly enjoy the endorphins I get from walking, weight-lifting, and using the elliptical at my gym. I've been looking forward to spring when I can start walking outside again, which I really enjoy.

Recently routine blood work showed advanced kidney disease. A year ago I was fine, so everyone is puzzled. I'll keep it short here, suffice to say it's zapping my energy in a big way. It's hard for me to even do the elliptical now, and if I do too much weight lifting I ache really badly the next day. 

Does anyone have tips/suggestions for how you've kept up your exercise routine when you were sick? Normally exercise is my stress reliever, so not having the energy to do much of it is very hard for me on many levels. I've never been good at being a sick person, I hate the idea of it, but I know that I have to take care of myself.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

You need to talk to your DR and find out what he says.

I know its hard but you need to listen to your body and only do what it lets you do.

Please dont push it even though its hard not to after being so use to it. Take care of you. Im sure you will be back

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I don't think anyone here can our should advise you how to exercise with advanced kidney disease. It's a very serious condition.

You might want to look at the weight training portion of your workouts and see if it's going to be beneficial. In general, weights involve breaking down and building of muscle, which is going to require quite a bit of protein, which the kidneys will have to filter.

I ran across a thread on a similar topic you may want to have a look at. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

your body is already working harder than it was a year ago.. adding stressers to it like weight lifting is probably not a good idea aside from the reasons Dave sited. You really should talk to your doctor about your approved activity level. Your doctor is not going to tell you to lie down, you will be encouraged to keep up your fitness, just in the right way for you now. It stinks huge and emotionally its probably even worse than physically, but you have to fight a different fight now...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the others: Talk to your doctor about what exercises are best for someone dealing with your condition. If all you can do is walk, then walk. There are tons of walk-indoors videos that you should be able to find one that works for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes