Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Exercise for Restarting Efforts with Diabetes ?

ANSWERED

Any Suggestions to ease back into routine of exercise ans eating?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since diabetes is a metabolic disease, I would focus on routines that will jump start your metabolism.

I rank HIIT the highest in this regard, and then any type of intense cardio. Adding some strength/resistance training also has a positive effect on insulin resistance.

My coach just released a video on diabetes that is very informative.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Welcome to the forums!

For the Diabetes you really need to talk to your DR on a good plan

Exercise. Just MOVE! You need to find what you like to do so you stick with it. Try different things.

Me I'm a walker. I go daily. only thing that stops me is wind blowing in my face hard. That happens I'm inside doing Leslie Sansone In door walking.

I also do weights and stomach from Youtube videos I have a variety I do so I mix it up. Also have a stationary bike  i use daily. Boring but I watch TV while I ride Smiley Very Happy

Oh I also have a couple Boxing DVD's I do daily as well. I love what I do and that's what keeps me going.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks Wendy...very helpful

Best Answer

Since diabetes is a metabolic disease, I would focus on routines that will jump start your metabolism.

I rank HIIT the highest in this regard, and then any type of intense cardio. Adding some strength/resistance training also has a positive effect on insulin resistance.

My coach just released a video on diabetes that is very informative.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

On one aspect, the feet, before I got diagnosed I had/have my big toes get tender (like turf toe). Stopped hiking much to rest and they never healed...I did find that they improved when I changed my diet and did find out the blanket at night was making them worse each night...

So if your feet are being affected from Diabetic symptoms finding the right exercise for the current condition...I find elliptical machines the best for getting HR up and worsen my conditions the least (even on a bad day). I got back into soccer and that's the funniest, but I must be careful...and I was not by using cleats and playing on turf too often...Walking is good but seems to worsen condition a little more often than elliptical for me.

Best Answer

@ppurdom Have you also tried cycling (either on road or stationary) as a cardio exercise? My brother also has feet problems from his diabetes and he does a lot of walking. I'd love to be able to help him.

Best Answer

I love cycling, I did a 15 mile loop in my hometown from 12 through college into my 30s. I thought cycling would be the last thing I'd lose as excercising, but I'm at the point that I get 7-8 scale pain in the inner knee on very moderate uphill runs...I think it improves when my inflammation goes down...started playing keeper on soccer again and after a few weeks of caution I stopped having my knees slip. Learned to keep legs in a better angles to not encourage slipping, too.

Thanks for the advice, I will work on cycling, stationary bike someone throw out has gotten me going some. Got sick badly just before Covid shutdown and haven't wanted to push too hard too quickly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @rmahoopos it's a simple question to a very complex situation 🙂 I myself I've been a T1D for over 10 years and I keep myself in really good shape but my best advice would be to focus on your alimentation. Start with basics like cutting down simple carbs like white sugar, flour, bread. I'm also looking forward to the Community Blog for Managing Diabetes. 

TheCoupleChallenge.com - The weekly couple fitness challenge that leads to togetherness fun!
Best Answer
0 Votes