Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step and calorie counter

Hey,

So I have been reading some similar questions to mine about my new Versa 2 and still not satisfied with the answers.

I would like to know how my step counter is increasing rapidly while I am sat down as well as in my sleep and how on earth these calories are being calculated? I have read all about the BMR and I get that to a certain extent but there is no way that I have burnt 1334 today (it is 1pm) and I haven't moved! If this really is the case that your body burns that's many calories just to stay alive then with my diet how am I not a size zero? Yesterday I went for a jog and the calorie counter was far more accurate so why can I not have this as the main one rather than the BMR one?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Fitbit is looking for impacts - if it's on your wrist it is seeing what it thinks are step impacts to some degree.

If you look at your 24 hr daily graph of steps, distance, calorie burn, you'll likely find that while some bogus steps are seen - the resulting distance and calorie burn is super minor.

There are settings and advice regarding dominate hand and which selection to try to minimize those bogus steps.

From distance and known weight and time comes very accurate formula for calorie burn.

Sadly not accurate if no actual distance was done - but again, probably minor.

But yes, the majority of your daily burn is BMR - and depending on your stats - you could easily have 1334 calories burned by 1 pm.

It could also be doing some movement before 1 pm, or are you in bed until then?

To lose weight you merely need to eat less than you burn in total, hopefully just fat weight if done right.

Fitbit is coming up with that daily burn total, subtracting some for weight loss if you indeed set that goal - and giving an eating goal figure to reach.

You are not a size 0 because you likely have no concept how many calories are in food that you used to eat, just as you are not aware how many you really may burn daily.

You just don't happen to know, many don't. Fitbit and other trackers are an eye opener to the whole world of calories burned and eaten.

Some of your language is confusing since you don't understand the concepts so I'm not sure what you are talking about with having the jog counter instead of the BMR one.

As to your diet and being accurate on that side of incoming food - logging by weight is best, because calories is per gram, not cups, spoons, ect. (except liquids).

Another eye opener perhaps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, based off  your BMR, that's how many calories your body does in fact burn for doing "nothing" but it does in fact take energy to digest food, pump blood, transfer oxygen, regenerate cells, ect. The BMR is based off your height, weight, and physical activity. As for your other questions, I'm not quite clear but feel free to send me a message and I'm sure I can help you figure it all out. Until then, take in others advice and I hope you get your problem solved! -Trainer AJ

-Trainer AJ
Best Answer
0 Votes

@AC363904 wrote:

Yes, based off  your BMR, that's how many calories your body does in fact burn for doing "nothing" but it does in fact take energy to digest food, pump blood, transfer oxygen, regenerate cells, ect. The BMR is based off your height, weight, and physical activity. As for your other questions, I'm not quite clear but feel free to send me a message and I'm sure I can help you figure it all out. Until then, take in others advice and I hope you get your problem solved! -Trainer AJ

Just for clarity BMR by definition is not based on any physical activity since it is the base metabolism - as if when sleeping. The BMR estimate is only based on gender, age, weight, height.

TDEE is the estimate that includes activity level in it, along with BMR, and TEF and NEAT and EAT.

The TEF, or Thermal Effect of Food for digestion is not a part of BMR, but is in the TDEE.

NEAT, or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is your daily activity levels, part of TDEE.

EAT, or Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is just that, part of TDEE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Heybales Ah yes, I misspoke. Thanks for the clarification. I should have put TDEE in the reply

-Trainer AJ
Best Answer
0 Votes